• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Inner Wing Rot- Advice Please

Telf

Cutting this out this Friday/Saturday- wish me luck!

Telf

heres how it went:

initial damage:

post-21474-0-68002200-1458978367_thumb.jpg

Telf

brushed back the metal looks good but its very very thin!

post-21474-0-72042800-1458978535_thumb.jpg

Telf

Committed now- cut out.

post-21474-0-64473200-1458978610_thumb.jpg

Telf

The offending rotten section and the cut out- managed to do this with the wing still in place

post-21474-0-82508400-1458978792_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-27496300-1458978803_thumb.jpg

Edited by Telf

Telf

Replacement tacked on and then welded, many issues here. the welder on its absolute lowest setting was blowing through the metal at the joint - the original inner wing material seems so so thin!

hence its a bit blobby!

post-21474-0-43992900-1458979037_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-36110700-1458979047_thumb.jpg

Edited by Telf

Telf

primed, but a huge ridge due to the weld after grinding - so re ground and primed again - still not quite flat but not bad

post-21474-0-82368600-1458979247_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-83726900-1458979254_thumb.jpg

Edited by Telf

Telf

sprayed. Its not quite flat but the weather and time meant it needed sealing- im thinking it needs a smear of filler to level it? Any suggestions?

As an amateur job I think its come out not too bad- £150 with paint etc etc and a small payment to a mate to assist with the welding- all told 9 hours work.

My local repair shop wanted £500-£600 ish with wings off etc.

and the other side - which was a much smaller hole!

post-21474-0-26646400-1458979671_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-09476100-1458979707_thumb.jpg

farmer

Good effort

Looks respectable at least

Telf

Ta ,

Im probably going to add a smear of filler and spray up again to level it- have never used the stuff so not really sure what to do!

Slo

DO NOT use filler there, it will soak up moisture like a bath sponge and you will regret it. Great job that is and a proud scar that tells you its rot free in the usual place.

Did you spot weld the side part underneath the wing or seam weld it?

Telf

Hi Slo, thanks

Maybe I should leave it- I mean its solid now just not flat!

We created a lip over the wing and then welded the lip to it. Anti rust primed and then whacked a load of brush on waxoyl to match the rest that's under there. I don't think any water will be getting in.

At some point the cars coming off the road for a full strip and restoration - it should be ok till then.

On another note its now showing 249 892 on the speedo - quarter million miles beckons so the old pugs nearly made it to the moon (depending on the season)

:D

• Like 1

timoth123

Good work!!!!

allye

Looks good. Exactly the same as I had to do on my van, yours looks slightly tidier though!

Telf

Cheers all,

Next task the under the windscreen/pillar/bulkhead rot mentioned earlier.

I'm pretty sure that will need the dash out so its going to have to wait till later in the year. never taken a dash out and cant say I'm looking forward to it at all!

Also should there be sealant along the joint between the horizontal/vertical sections of the bit I repaired? It seems to me it might be better to let any water run rather than get trapped but I cant remember if there was sealant there or not?

Edited by Telf

allye

Inner wing doesn't have seam sealer no.

With the windscreen, there are two channels in the seal in each bottom corner. I just had my windscreen replaced in the 205 with a new seal. When removed we could see the channels were silted up which caused the leak. Luckily no corrosion on mine but worth trying to clear that on yours?

Tom Fenton

As standard that seam isn't sealed but that is why it rots. I seal it from above and below so that hopefully I don't have to do the job again!

timoth123

As standard that seam isn't sealed but that is why it rots. I seal it from above and below so that hopefully I don't have to do the job again!

Thatts what the body shop did to my gti. And what ive done to my cti. Seemed the best option to prevent any further corrosion.

Telf

I might take it to my local body shop- now the metals in - see how much he will charge for smoothing that weld hump and finishing it for me. The replacement metal is flush, just my less that pro hands hasn't finished it well enough!

Tom Fenton

Each to their own but unless you plan to make it a show car, personally I'd leave it at that. Spend the money on stripping back and sealing up the other side and other prone areas.

Telf

hey Tom,

Well Ive done the other side - it was no where near as bad, and its never going to be a show car, its a machine and its meant to be driven!

So yeah maybe I will start on the few other areas that need a bit of attention, it looks shiny- folk seemed to get a kick out of seeing it at a show I went to on sunday (and it was the only pug there)

Cheers mind made up!