• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Small Cracks Above Rear Side Windows..

madspikes

I have just noticed some cracks above the rear side windows in the small indent that run along the body work between the window and the roof.

The car has standard shocks and springs, and there is no signs of it being a cut and shut.

Should I be concered about this and how did I go about fixing it?

Guest Dom

They are just standard stress fractures from the chassis when it rolls through corners.

The longer the crack, the faster it's been thrown into corners because we all know how good a 205 is at handling and some of us like to test it to it's limit (on private roads of course!!)

A strutt brace would probably stop the cracks getting any bigger.

Guest j_turnell

yeah its sposed to show body flex mate i shouldnt worry about it too much.

Alan_M

As soon as i put my Grp N mounts and Billies on, my cracks grew to about 4inches!

Nothing to worry about. Its basically sealant behind there, which just cracks over time as the shell flexes when cornering hard.

Guest stevec205gti

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong...... aren't the cracked bits filler? It's not exactly the most flexible stuff, that's why it gives up the ghost. You also get the same at the bottom of the rear wings where it joins the restof the shell.

Guest Hungrytang

There 205 thrash marks.

one of the first things you shoud look at when buying a 205 gti..!

The longer the crack the harder its been worked (thrashed)

Well thats the theory anyway??

Guest Batfink

if the rear suspension has worn out b4 expect some cracks too

C_W
There 205 thrash marks.

one of the first things you shoud look at when buying a 205 gti..!

The longer the crack the harder its been worked (thrashed)

Well thats the theory anyway??

I don't really agree with that general theory. I think they just crack through age rather than usage. The rear quarter folds in under the roof there and is only spot welded acrose the top and filled in.

Mine has done 170k and 30 track days and the cracks haven't really grown since I have had the car that I have noticed. This has been lowered for about 7years.

About 5 years ago my uncle had an F-reg too which had massive cracks and was lower mileage and was completely standard.

Guest James205gti

I have cracks in xcactly the same place. First thing i thought was cut N shut! Yeah, does look like filler :D

Edited by James205gti

Guest tombiledit

I think, from my experience, that both reasons, age and usage.

Roof itself supports the whole structure of passenger cabin and mainly carry the torsion forces in such constructions. The bending moment in the edge area of roof on both sides is the greatest. The roof skin is going up and the post is trying to hold the roof in position, and joint is not well designed. During the life time sealant and also the outer paint became less flexible and simply crack.

During the overhaul you can weld in three or four places starting from forward edge, apply new sealant bed and paint. I did il and works perfect.

Right now if there is no rust signs leave as is or apply any colour sealant (poliuterhan) to secure against moisture.

I've prepared small section view of roof joint, but have no idea how to insert it into this post

Tomek

Simes
I've prepared small section view of roof joint, but have no idea how to insert it into this post

Tomek

Find somewhere to host the picture Image uploader - then copy the URL, click on IMG above and paste the URL into there. :)

Edited by Simes

Guest James205gti

E.mail it to me. I'll put it up for ya. james_rob50@hotmail.com

madspikes

Thanks. :)

I was concerned at first! There seems to be many of these little things that just seem to be just 'normal' for the 205Gti!

danGTI

yep, the 205's (or indeed most french cars of the period) aren't famed for there strong build quality! If you want a strong chassis, get a golf. as if lol.

C_W
yep, the 205's (or indeed most french cars of the period) aren't famed for there strong build quality! If you want a strong chassis, get a golf. as if lol.

Somebody has said they twist a lot when you jack them up.

jackherer

my '90 sorrento on about 180k is the only 205 GTI I've ever seen without the cracks above the rear windows! maybe mine is some dodgy cut'n'shut?? :D

and before anyone says anything, yes, its been driven properly :)

Guest Dream Weaver

Mine is cracked all the way along the bottom edge just behind the driver.

Top cracks are about 1" long - it also runs on Grp N mounts, and I am fairly sure this will exxagerate the problem.

Guest Telf 205

corsa's are alot better at doing this....

hehehe i said corsa!

Guest ste

The size of them seems to differ a lot between cars with sunroofs and those without. Mine has no sunroof and the cracks are tiny compared to some others I've seen.

C_W
The size of them seems to differ a lot between cars with sunroofs and those without. Mine has no sunroof and the cracks are tiny compared to some others I've seen.

I still say it's random on each 205; my uncles 1.6 had no sunroof but massive cracks on the same age of car with less miles and was standard, about 5 years ago.

Guest eccentric_uncle_rich

My recently purchased 1.9 is like this on the drivers side but the passenger side is fine.

Is the permanent cure to weld up the seam on the outside or inside of the car?

Richard.

Guest kempy

...........another job to add to the never ending list of things to do to the pug. I love my car <_<

C_W
My recently purchased 1.9 is like this on the drivers side but the passenger side is fine.

Is the permanent cure to weld up the seam on the outside or inside of the car?

Richard.

Perhaps. The joint is 2 folded piece of metal butted together and spot-welded and the gap filled in, so you could seam weld the ridge if you cleaned it out. I imagine the seam on the inside to resemble the seam on the bulkhead where it sticks out by about 10mm where it's joined together.

Sign in to follow this