• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

MadeinWigan

306 Hdi Into 205 Stdt

MadeinWigan

Hello everyone, I have a 205 STDT and a 306 Hdi and I want to fit the 306 running gear into the 205.

I've spent a bit of time going through different threads, seeing what other conversions have been done but it's left me scratching my head a bit. My aim is to us the Hdi engine and gearbox as I would like the more relaxed gearing of the 306. Am I right in thinking that the driveshafts will be an issue?

I'd like to retain the power steering if possible, would I have to use the 306 or the 205 set up?

Would there be any mods needed for the clutch operation or cooling system?

Finally, wiring, is there much fiddling about to do? As I've got the whole donor car does that make life easier?

Thanks for your patience!

Paul_13

Regarding the gearbox, swap the diff like a gti 6 conversion. Or swap the inner CV which is regarded as a bodge, however it lasted me a long time years ago.

For the clutch, get a gti 6 flywheel and use a push clutch like a mi16 1.9 16v. No need to convert the hdi box to a pull clutch as it is already a push type

Regarding the wiring, it's very similar to a 6 conversion

lybker

No need to upgrade the clutch / flywheel if you anyway plan to use both HDI engine and box...however the cable needs changing also. speedsensor is anyway cable operated and you can fit it where you want.

Take care to use a 306hdi donercar, as the 206hdi has a different tilt angle in the enginebay - and Never! mix gearboxes from the 2 without including the flywheel - else the TPS signal gets an unforgiving offset - if not corrected in the ECU will push a rod through the engine block! If you plan to ad an IC, look towards the xsara 110bhp HDI for usefull spareparts to the turbo outlet and inlet elbow for the manifold - should be cheap at the scrapyard!

gearlinkage needs maybe a tweak also - but the job in general is pretty straight forward!

Paul_13

Only reason I said about the clutch is due to 2.0 hdi clutch not holding a lot of power and people generally fine them to be a bit wank.

There's loads of options for updated clutches for the 215mm version

Also the hdi flywheel weighs 10kg and the 6 flywheel weighs 6kg from memory

Paul_13

Ignore that

Edited by Paul_13

MadeinWigan

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at the Gti-6 wiring threads, I hadn't considered that.

Luckily I have the 306 donor car and it has had a recent gearbox rebuild, clutch, cambelt, water pump etc. that's why I'm keen to use the whole package if possible.

I've read a little bit about the inner cv issue, what is the reason that it is frowned upon?

I'd like to run the 110 set up at some point and then have it remapped, good time for updated clutch and lighter flywheel. At the moment though, the focus is on planning the swap and hopefully have an idea of what problems to expect before I get stuck in.

Anthony

Edit! Hang on you'll need to use the dturbo flywheel to keep the Rev counter and some how mount the Rev cover pickup

Can't do that as there's nothing on the XUD flywheel for the crank sensor to reference for the ECU to run the engine.

You'll need to use a flywheel with the Motronic timing teeth present and work out some other way to make the tacho work.

welshpug

yeah, the gti6 flywheel is ideal for that.

Paul_13

Yep, I'm half asleep.... Durr

lybker

carefull as the HDI needs the trigger sensor and right location of the 60-2 teeth layout to ensure correct timing and fueling - if you offset it or make it "unreadable" by using another flywheel you will have very real issues!

Anthony

GTi-6 flywheel definitely works as that's what I've been running on my 306 HDi (together with a Valeo S16/TD clutch) for the last 40k miles at Stage 1 tune (approx 125hp)

The only potential issue that I can see is that I don't think that it has the timing/locking hole on it, so next time the cambelt needs doing could be fun...

Paul_13

I've been using the same setup for ages on around 165bhp setup. Done about 10k now I think

Tipex was the only way to do the timing I found

MadeinWigan

I'm going to get started on this project on Saturday. I want to use the hdi engine, flywheel, clutch and gearbox. Will the clutch mechanism/cables need modding at all?

Will there be any issues with the rev counter not being compatible? Is it easy to remove the immobiliser from the ecu? I have the full donor car but I was thinking it may be best to get rid of the immobiliser.

Finally, i'll be using the 306 inner cv, it it just a case of mating it to the outer?

I really appreciate your help.

Anthony

If you're using the original HDi gearbox and clutch setup, then you don't need to do anything - just use a 205 BE3 pedal and cable which you should already have being an STDT.

205 diesel rev counter almost certainly won't work. A modified petrol one should, although obviously not ideal with the scaling, but I've never looked closely enough at the diesel tacho to see whether it could be modified to work with the tacho output on the HDi ECU.

You can "soft unlock" the ECU by unplugging it with the ignition switched on (ie 2nd click on the key) but you'll need to send the ECU off to have the immobiliser removed completely - from memory "HDi Tuning" (Google it) can do that and offers proven, good quality re-maps as well.

MadeinWigan

Thanks, that sounds like just the job, I like the idea of the remap being done at the same time.

MadeinWigan

No going back now, the engine is out!

post-22201-0-72958800-1462645403_thumb.jpeg

Edited by MadeinWigan

Alan_M

from memory "HDi Tuning" (Google it) can do that and offers proven, good quality re-maps as well.

Smoke-free ones too ;)

Paul_13

Unless you hit the limiter in 5th :lol:

Highly recommend hdi tuning

MadeinWigan

Unfortunately the HDi plan is having to be scrapped because of a lack of time, storage and talent.

1.9td going in which I will start a thread about.