• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

PhilNW

Total Bv 75/80

PhilNW

Been searching for best place to get some of the above oil and some people are now offering Total Gear 8 75/80 as the replacement for the BV version

Checked Total's web site and both oils appear to match PSA spec of B71 2330 AND API GL-4+

Anyone had experience of using it?

Any reason why you shouldn't?

SweetBadger

I've used it in a BE3 box and it seemed to do the trick - had no issues with it.

PhilNW

Should have explained a bit better that the gearbox has a tranx LSD in it , just wondered if the gear 8 oil is suitable for the LSD

Not had any problems with the BV version

petert

Add approx. 40mL of Redline friction modifier.

boldy205

Add approx. 40mL of Redline friction modifier.

I guess this reduces the "clunking" and pulling on steering at slow speed, tight turns? Or are there other advantages?

petert

Correct, just add enough until the clunking reduces to an acceptable level.

boldy205

Will give it a go!

Cheers!

dcc

I found I used 2 bottles to my gearoil with plate diff. With no modifier it was horrible under 5mph turning

dobboy

I've ordered some of the total gear 8, have not long put Titan Syn 5 in..... ????

I've never had a plated diff before but after recently fitting one, and maybe done 50/70 miles or so, i'm beginning to hear the clunking at fairly slow speeds, but i also hear what i can only describe as sounding like a tyre rubbling off a bit of unattached plastic trim.... Or like the sound when you spin a wheel by hand when it's jacked up, from the disc/brake pad.

The sound seems to appear randomly and from mid to NS, is this normal?

dcc

The clunking yes, anything else you'v described sounds like you've done a silly and forgotten to do something

• Like 1

dobboy

Cheers dcc. Can't think of what else it can be, there is no slack trims etc, and nothing I can think of that can rub..... Lambda cable on a shaft but I doubt it and doubt it would sound like it does.

Back up on the axle stands again.................... huh

boldy205

I found I used 2 bottles to my gearoil with plate diff. With no modifier it was horrible under 5mph turning

I presume this has no effect on the synchros?

• Like 1

SweetBadger

I don't bother using any additive for my box with a 3J diff as the car rarely sees the road and the chatter/clunking doesn't bother me.

It is quite bad with tight low speed turns though - does anyone know if the chatter/clunking is bad for the diff or could cause premature wear on the plates. If it does I'll get some of the additive in there!

dcc

I've not had any problems so far, I dont know what affect it will have on them tbh. As yet no problems (10k+ miles)

dobboy

Got to say, my Gbox feels better since removing the Titan Syn stuff and putting Total 8 in, somehow sweeter from cold.

I never added any modifier.

And

I had issues with the Titan sync stuff to I got it as as I won £50 to spend with 710, it affected my sincros badly but I believe but could be wrong that it's really for dog engagement, I just run total BV now no adative as its a stage car the clicking don't bother me but saying that the Titan was just as loud..

Rippthrough

They had a lot of syncro issues with RX-8 boxes with Titan in too. Opie had them investigating but it I don't think it ever came to anything.