• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Biggles

Speedo Drive Options

Biggles

Does anyone have a list of which speedo drives cogs work together, how many teeth they have and which colours they are ?

Servicebox lists the number of teeth but not the colours, nor which goes with which.

I've searched on here and found big white goes with small red but not the number of teeth.

The reason for the question is the speedo on my rally car under-reads significantly (not surprisingly given it's a Quaife gearset on an Mi16 final drive using the Mi16 speedo cogs). An indicated 60mph in 5th is more like 80mph. Hence I was wondering if there is a combination of cogs that will give a reading closer to reality (so as not to upset people on road sections).

Looking at the ratios available, the only option worth considering is a 22 tooth big (white ?) and a 17 tooth small - but what colour is the 17 tooth small and does it actually work with the 22 tooth big ? Anyone know ?

Thanks and compliments of the season to all.

welshpug

doesn't matter what gears are in the box, only what size tyre you have, the speedo drive combination, and the speedo head

Biggles

By "speedo head" you mean the clock ?... That was sold as being 205 GTI.

Yes, I thought it wouldn't matter what the gearset was as it looked like the speedo was effectively driven off the driveshaft so purely down to speedo drive ratio & tyres. That's why I used the Mi16 speedo drive cogs - tyres are 185/585-15 or 195/50-15. When it turned out to be so inaccurate I figured I'd missed something. The job's list has now shrunk to the point where I thought I'd revisit the speedo (not being performance limiting it was well down the list). Hence the question.

welshpug

mi16 used 195 55 15 and a different speedo head, you need 205 gti cogs.

Biggles

50 to 55 series is only 3% so insignificant in the grand scheme of things but different head ...

205 GTI cogs are big white (22 tooth, 2643.03) with small red - yes ? But which one is the red one ?

Thanks.

Biggles

To answer my own question :

White = 19

Red = 17

according to an allegedly 1.9 GTI 'box.

welshpug

PICT0019.jpg

my photobucket agrees with that, 1.6 1.9 & 309 gti are the same.

Edited by welshpug

welshpug

PICT0022.jpg

white big cog in a stinking dirty 87 be1 gti box.

Biggles

Jolly good - we'll give them a try then and see what we get.

Thanks.

(That 'box is impressively dirty !)