• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Gman

Chris Evans - 205 Gti Purchase

lagonda

So agree, S@m, something has to be wrong where some talentless but gobby obnoxious individual can make a progressing career out of being just that. The cult of celebrity; if you believe in evolution, it must be all downhill from here.

Anthony

Why the resentment? I'm no fan of his show, but clearly many are and he's presumably paid what the "market" says that he's worth much the same as any other presenter whether they're with the BBC or elsewhere. This is after all not a communist state.

Besides, I dare say that the majority of his fortune is down to other income and successful investments rather than solely his BBC salary.

• Like 2

S@m

True, i would imagine much of it comes from elsewhere. I just don't understand why the BBC needs to pay such sums to retain supposed "talent" when i'm sure there's plenty about who would do just as good a job for less, let the talent go elsewhere. I'm not advocating communism but there should be a limit on things paid from the public purse......as with MPs and the like, even if they vote themselves a pay rise most years.

As you can tell, i'm not a fan of his work, but i don't honestly care who owns the same car (or anything) as me, it was meant as a (bad) joke.

Andy_C

When you can turn £6m profit on a GTO and, as a private individual, pay not a penny in capital gains tax it's probably fair to surmise that he (along with a LOT of top end collectors) is amassing a decent bank balance from privately trading cars....

TheLarneMan

i know of one in NI that sold for £24,000. was very low miles and totally unrestored. i guess they are worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

What?? £24k?

Have you any details about it?

dcc

Be nice to see what he decides to do with it

Telf

Maybe he will have a 205 owners meet round his house - with a lavish meal and champagne for all!

anyway I think its great news

• Like 2

ciarandeery1

What?? £24k?

Have you any details about it?

No but it was a guy on a local forum i had asked a few things to and he told me he had sold his for £24k earlier this year, i never asked much more but he had a forum post of it so il check what miles etc was on it, leave it with me.

Hheppy

I don't think many of the BBC "talent" receive a salary, take Jeremy Vine who provides services to the BBC and they then pay a fee to his company for those services, or something along those lines.

Chris Evans has had many fingers in many pies over the years, didn't he famously borrow £85m to buy a radio station and eventually sold it making a fair wedge of cash!

Fair play to him, he has taken risks and made some ££ along the way and you can't blame him for buying a 205, we all know how much fun (and frustration) they can be.

Simes

Earning over 50k?

Set up a company, pay it into that and then pay yourself a wage.

Not uncommon.

erbs

Fair play to Chris Evans, i like the bloke and he has made his money, so do he can what he wants with it, if it means he raises a higher profile on the classic hot hatch scene then its good news for all us owners.

ATK

I don't think in percentage terms there are that many 205 owners on this forum overall. You just have to look at the posts on the facebook groups etc to see there are s*itloads more owners out there than those who frequent this forum.

higher prices always spark a lively debate - there are probably alot of owners on here who remember picking decent examples up in the early 2000's for peanuts! I wish I was one of them!

That being said, it IS suprising how prices change in a mere 6-7 years.

I was a latecomer and had my first GTi in 2009, an immaculate cherry red, pretty much mint, 120k on the clock, all for a mere 1500. Interesting how values change even in a relatively short number of years. Looking back it was a f***ing bargain and I still sorely regret selling it to this day. A similar example these days I guess would be 4-5k. Must dig out the pics and post them up soon...

There are definately still bargains out there as long as you stay away from the classifieds and ebay.

Good luck to Mr Evans and his new GTi....alot of money but then again it's peanuts to him...can't see him outside, in the rain, with bleeding knuckles, trying to undo the SAD bolts mind ????

nveeate

Good on him!

If you're that wealthy, you don't buy a £13k 205 GTI as an investment (the capital increase just wouldnt be worth the effort) - you buy it because you're a fan of the car. Whether or not you like Chris Evans, he's clearly a agenuine petrolhead.

nomis

Good on him!

If you're that wealthy, you don't buy a £13k 205 GTI as an investment (the capital increase just wouldnt be worth the effort) - you buy it because you're a fan of the car. Whether or not you like Chris Evans, he's clearly a agenuine petrolhead.

I reckon that's a pretty fair point. He won't have done this to make money, although I reckon Evans is enough of a businessman to have an eye on that even when he's not looking for it.

He has bought a 205 GTI because it's an iconic car - and considering how iconic they are and how they always attract attention and interest when you are out and about in them, they look reasonable value at around £5k for a decent one compared to some other cars out there.

Here are the fast Fords including the RS Turbo and Cosworth RS500 mentioned earlier in the thread that sold at Silverstone.

Gman

Earning over 50k?

Not uncommon.

Really? Even if being employed by a UK based company and receiving tax deducted at source wage?

What are the benefits?

Gman

Evans has said he fancies one as a daily drive.

He is also nowhere near as wealthy as he once was - he lost a huge fortune suing Virgin Radio after they fired him despite being a significant shareholder. However, his new Top Gear appointment will no doubt help his fortune rise steadily.

• Like 1

large

93 BHP and 17 lbs/ft and it can still hit 127 mph.

Sandy

I'd have more respect for his taste if he'd sought out a properly rare French hero hatch, my lottery short list:

Talbot Samba Rallye

Citroen Visa GTi

Citroen AX GTi

309 GTi (facelift non sunny 3 door)

(I know a member on here with the first two)

Or go uber rare Talbots, like the Tagora for extra points. But that's beyond redeeming qualities and just obsessive.

Most of the Fords touted as rare, really aren't compared to the obscurer French stuff.

Edited by Sandy

Edp

Earning over 50k?

Not uncommon.

Thats what I do

309 GTi (facelift non sunny 3 door)

Shame mine has a sun-roof :(

welshpug

not sure I've ever seen a British non sunroof ph2 309 gti, but yes I'd have one!