• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lemontreeman

Replacing The Banjo Style Fuel Filter With An Inline One

lemontreeman

Hi All,

New to the forum :)

I cant find any information on this topic, so hopefully someone can help out.

I was wondering if it was possible to replace the fuel filter on a 205 1.6 gti, which is a banjo style one with one from the 306 which is the inline one.

The inline one is easier to switch out :) and it means i could relocate it away from where it is now. Being next to the brake servo/cylinder, it makes it painful to replace and when it leaks/if it leaks ( bad washers) its to close to hot bit.

Thanks

Lemontreeman

Tom Fenton

Folk seem fascinated by altering the standard fuel filter arrangement. Personally I have never had any issues with it. Its a little awkward to replace but not horrendous. Banjos once tightened properly do not give any problem. Yes its near to the exhaust but in the event of a big smash, it is in a relatively safe position behind the suspension turret which is a strong part of the car. Better there than where folk move them to on the inner wing, an area that crumples badly in an accident.

Given that it only needs changing infrequently I would leave it alone. Every replacement I have ever bought came with replacement crush washers anyway, and they thoughtfully gave you a hexagon on each end to counterhold to make getting the banjo bolt tight an easy job. The way I usually do it is to tighten the bottom one with the filter loose, there is enough hose to move it up clear of the engine etc. Then with the bottom one tight fit it to the bracket and secure the bracket but not fully tight. Then fit the top hose to the fuel rail. Finally nip up the clamp and secure all the bracket bolts and congratulate yourself on a job well done.

In addition to do a conversion properly it needs the lines changing from the solid pipework which is far more awkward to access down the bulkhead. Plus the commercially available rubber fuel hose these days is total garbage and does not last, so to do it right it wants doing in aeroquip and AN fittings with the associated cost.

• Like 1

welshpug

yep, that!

allanallen

Again, completely agree! God only knows why people like fitting them to the inner wing?!

lemontreeman

Thanks for the responses. I'll stick with the standard for now.

jackherer

when it leaks/if it leaks ( bad washers) its to close to hot bit.

As an aside it's worth noting that petrol wont ignite even if it hits the hot exhaust manifold, it'll just evaporate. The location of the brake fluid reservoir is much more of a concern.