• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

barista

106/saxo 1.1 Into 205. Can I Use Existing Carb And Donor Management?

barista

At some point over the next year I will be looking at replacing the tired 178k 1.0 lump in my missus 1990 205. There are not a fat lot of these engines around, so will probably look at buying a donor 106 or Saxo with a 1.1 and 5 speed box. All of them run coil pack ignition and single or multi point injection, whereas the 205 runs a carb and dizzy. I would like to retain the carb setup we currently have as I know my way round it and the spi systems are supposed to be inferior to a well setup carb.

From what I can gather the coil pack head and cam won't accept a dizzy, and I imagine the ecu controlled ignition should be better anyway, but can I run a standard 106/Saxo ecu and simply remove the injection setup, leaving behind only ignition? Or will I have to use an aftermarket ecu (at which point I would probably just swap all the injection stuff over and run a gti fuel tank)

Thanks in advance

jackherer

I don't have any experience of these particular engines but the issue you're likely to face is that once you've removed the ECUs load inputs, both throttle position sensor and airflow meter, the ECU can't tell the difference between going up a hill at full throttle and going down the other side with a closed throttle, it can just see RPM so the advance will be far from optimal.

welshpug

I would either convert it to injection - I cant fathom any reason why a 3d mapped SPi system will be inferior to a carb, quite the opposite.

Or rebuild the original lump.

or just buy a saxo/106...

barista

Just buying a 106/Saxo would be too sensible and boring I'm afraid. The 205 is my missus first car, which she has loved for years. Plus keeping it alive is a great technical exercise for me.

Rebuilding the engine will probably have the car off the road for longer and be more expensive. I know for a fact that it has been severely oil starved in the past, and it appeared that the previous owner didn't service it for many tens of thousands of miles. Probably not worth sinking money into.

I had heard from a friend that the spi systems were unreliable and poorly made, and actually got worse mpg than the carb setup. Is this true?

I suppose I could look at rebuilding the 205 head though, dropping it onto a second hand bottom end, thus keeping carb and dizzy.

Telf

if your taking the engine out then maybe its worth taking it to bits just to see if it really is as tired as you think- maybe it isn't and its worth saving

barista

if your taking the engine out then maybe its worth taking it to bits just to see if it really is as tired as you think- maybe it isn't and its worth saving

The problem is time. It needs to be off the road for as little time as possible so taking it apart before decidung what to do isnt an option. I may have sourced a 1.1 engine and box cheaply now, from a carbed 205 which will involve simply swaping parts over to the new engine after checking it over

sickomotorsport

Set the engine in get your existing head rebuilt and swap it onto the new engine maybe?

Adrian co

Yes u can run a normal carb on a Saxo engine u just leave the ignition part still plugged in and a fuel pressure regulator to get fuel pressure down to 4 psi from 40 psi