• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sy355

Removing Pas - Is It Worth It?

Guest Sy355

I'm going to look at another 1.9 GTi to replace my old girl but it's got power steering, and need some advice.

I've heard it takes a lot away from the car's feel - this is certainly the case with other cars I've driven, and would appreciate some opinions on the 205GTi

Secondly, is it possible to remove or disconnect the power assitance, and if so, anyone done it?

I couldn't fault the way my old (non-PAS) 1.9 drove and need another just like it!

Cheers,

Sy

Guest TB_205GTI

At the mo, I have a PAs rack fitted w/o the pump, well I have the pump but the pressure hose has blown. The steering is a tad heavier than std. but not by much. Feeling is just as good as with the original rack. I can't wait to get a new pressure hose as I do almost 5 reverse parrallel parks a day.

Guest Dino

I have owned 2 Pugs with PAS and two without.....I wouldn't own a Pug without PAS again.....too heavy and too many turns lock to lock.....PAS rack is quicker has almost as much feel and as non.....so there!

base-1

i can feel plenty more through a non-assisted rack, and dont find the less lock to be that great, hardly noticeable..... :(

pacey205

Agree with Base, had both and to be honest never noticed the difference between the two. Maybe the shorter lock-to-lock is better but doubt youd really notie it to be fair. Drive a car without PAS and make your decision from there if you can.

Michael

pug_ham
I've heard it takes a lot away from the car's feel - this is certainly the case with other cars I've driven, and would appreciate some opinions on the 205GTi

Apparently not on the 205 GTi.

I have had experience of all three types of steering on a 205, non-pas, pas & non-assisted pas.(quick rack)

Non-pas has loads of feel & I don't think it is that heavy really.

I think the 205 with pas has planty of feel & doesn't take much away from the non-pas but now I have tried the pas rack with the assistance removed I recommend it. No heavier than a non-pas rack IMO but with quicker dartier reaction to the steering inputs.

Have a test drive of one with it & see what you think, if you get one with it & don't like it after a while you can remove the pas stuff but keep the quicker rack.

Graham.:(

base-1

i was just driving a PAS 205 tonight as it happens, and although the steering was still good, i really do prefer non-assisted when im pushing on, compared to my car i couldnt feel as much as i would have liked on a dark back road at reasonable speed

Guest labrat

I've got both and definitely prefer PAS.

The first time I drove the one with PAS I was convinced it was faulty as the steering was so heavy !! .... but all things are relative :(

Cheers

base-1

heavy?! i was steering with one finger just for novelty value :(

Guest TRW

I love the weighty feel of the non PAS steering. Feels just right to me. Quicker turn-in would be nice though so a PAS rack without the gubbins is going on the list.

Anyway its just another thing to go wrong!!!!

GLENF

Hi am looking to fit carbs but Ive been told I cannot unless I remove the pas & drop the altenator(309gti).

How easy a job is it to remove the pas pump/disconnect the pas?

Glen.

Guest Nathanlgd

My 205 didn't have PAS and it was ok to drive. The only thing I didn't like was the massive amount of distance from lock to lock! steering whilst changing gear was often dificult because you couldn't turn the wheel far enough with one hand.

On my next 205 I want the quicker PAS rack but maybe without the pump - I've heard good things about the 205's PAS anyway, they sound like one of the better PAS systems in terms of performance.

Edited by Nathanlgd

jackherer

when you run a PAS rack with the assistance removed its normal to actually remove the hydraulic ram, so people describing the PAS with just the pump inactive/faulty are not describing the feel of an intentionally unassisted PAS rack.

My preferred setup is an unassisted pas rack, it has very good feel, fewer turns lock to lock (I /hate/ driving a 205 with the standard non-pas rack now, my arm s are all over the place!) and its not too heavy once you remove the hydraulic ram etc.

@GLENF: disconnecting the PAS is easy, just remove the pipes, reservioir, pump and ram, then block the unions on the rack. But you could keep the PAS if you use an electric pump - http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/s-elpas.html

Guest Sy355

Cheers for all the replies guys - I guess everybody has their prefrence!

Muchos Gracias,

Sy

Guest chaza11

Iv got PAS, but am puttin in an Mi16 this week. My PAS leaks and makes a mess so can i just remove the Mi pump and hoses and be done with it whilst its all out the car (well at least when theres more room!)

Is it hard to remove the pump? Just bolts on doesnt it...

Saves relocating the header aswell!

Guest jonnie205

yeah just remove all pas pipes and the ram off the cross member and then remove pas pump from mi motor and job done, easy

Sign in to follow this