• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
samthornton1990

Xu To Jp4

samthornton1990

I've just bought a 1.9 gti but I think the engines on it's way out, very tappy and the bottom end has some lovely noises coming from it.

I'm between rebuilding it or putting a 1.6 16v in as my mate used to have one on his 106 which used to leave my old 205 standing.

I've had a search and nothings come up. Had anyone done this conversion in a GTI?

If so what is required to to make the engine fit as the mounts are different etc

Any help would be appreciated ☺

welshpug

a healthy 1.9 will keep up just fine and have a gearbox that wont s*it itself, unless you want to go into doing a BE4 conversion too, I'd get another XU.

plenty of topics on fitting the TU engine in, the brackets on the shell are all the same for a later TU.

samthornton1990

Are the MA boxes that bad? I will look into rebuilding mine then, just after my last one I figured the TU would be the better engine.

I was gutted, finally got my dream car which on paper is quicker than the 1.6 16v and next thing he went steaming past me. I was pretty gutted!

welshpug

if it was lighter the TU5 would make sense, its a heavy old lump for its capacity though, the 1.9 makes more sense.

and yeah the MA is a bit of a chocolate teapot.

my personal experience is that a decent 1.9 will have no trouble at all keeping up with a 106 gti, they're lighter and have more power after all...

samthornton1990

I'll get looking for a healthier engine then when I recrue some funds/ fine one to rebuild on the side!

Miles

The MA gearbox is OK it just doesn't like abuse or much over 100k before needing new bearings, mainly the input shaft one nearest the clutch, but it's a backwards step personally, Better off with a 16v XU

samthornton1990

After doing some reading I think I may stick with the XU, found one on ebay for cheap!