• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eethon

1.9 Gti Fires For An Instant Then Dies.

eethon

i recently changed the valve stem seals on my 205 with the head on. managed ok apart from needing a replacement cam shaft! unfortunately after rebuilding the engine it wont start.

it initially fires but almost right away dies the accelerator pedal does nothing at all when attempting to start it.

when installing the cam belt it did slip a tooth or two initially but i noticed it didnt sound right, adjusted the belt and secured it then triex again. perhaps ive managed to bend the valves? if so is there a test i can do to be sure?

otherwise is there a common thing ive overlooked or missed out? has anyone had this issue before?
cheers in advance,

james

eethon

just done another compression test and cylinders 1 and 2 are barely registering any compression at all so i think bent valves... doh.

Edited by eethon

Tom Fenton

You say that you changed the camshaft, have you checked and adjusted the valve clearances?

eethon

No I didn't as it was stock. But I will check clearances tomorrow. Would this account for the lack of compression in cylinders 1 and 2 you think?

scbond

When you started it the first time after the job was done what noise did you hear? If you bent the valves it would surely be noticeable.

Not wanting to lecture but this is why you test the belt fitment by rotating the crank by hand.

Edited by scbond

Tom Fenton

No I didn't as it was stock. But I will check clearances tomorrow. Would this account for the lack of compression in cylinders 1 and 2 you think?

Possible. If the shims are preventing the valves from fully shutting then there won't be any compression. Needs checking.

eethon

When you started it the first time after the job was done what noise did you hear? If you bent the valves it would surely be noticeable.

Not wanting to lecture but this is why you test the belt fitment by rotating the crank by hand.

I was tired after a long day and rushed it. Forgot to tighten the tensioner.

I've done these a few times before this is the first cock up!