• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackmorris

A Newbie's First Project - Tu5J4 Conversion

jackmorris

Hi all, been floating around for a while and have finally decided to get a thread going on my upcoming conversion!

First off a little history on the 205.

It's a 1990 XE with just over 109,000 miles on the clock, bought last year from my older brother. It's served me well in that year but i always felt it was destined for some more 'go' as it were. So with big end failure a month or so ago i decided to get on with a tu5j4 conversion for some 16 valve goodness.

I'm running on a tight schedule as i'd like have it ready for the retro rides show on the 23rd of August as it was the first show i took the 205 to last year so bit of a milestone for me as i'd never taken anything to a show before! This is my first proper car project so it's as much a learning experience as it is a bit of fun.

anyway, here's the car when I first had it -

untitled-99_zpsfcad9wjg.jpg

20140619_202743_zpscb7b1f0e.jpg

20140619_202733_zpsb8378939.jpg

as you can see my brother fitted some XS seats from a scrappy that he picked up for 10 pounds (not joking) that are in brilliant condition as well as some 106 steel wheels.

Fixed some little niggles, such as window mechs, blown exhaust system and new manifold, as well as replace the frankly terrifying tyres that were on it. and generally tried to tidy it as best i could, although my brother is a keen detailer so had already worked on the paintwork so it looks brilliant for 25!

fitted 1.6 calipers with 1.9 discs to fit under my 13's

20150111_172325_zps1c927eb4.jpg

will post more as soon as I can! keep an eye out because this should progress quickly (fingers crossed)

jackmorris

Picked up an engine for free from a local friend who had it in his garage for a couple years, it's fairly bare so will need some bits and bobs for it but saved money on a good block and head so bonus!

20150616_173438_zps5lpikbbr.jpg

got it on the stand and cleaned it up a little bit, as fit cam sprockets and couple other bits my mate gave me.

20150719_173312_zpsskgf8hyv.jpg

also picked up this lovely piece of kit from Tom Fenton at pugfest, thanks very much Tom!

20150712_162633_zpsnpoac3aq.jpg

Rebuilt 1.6 gti rear beam, so the rear suspension is almost sorted just need dampers and then will swap my brakes over.

Tom Fenton

The best advice I can give you on the rear brakes is not to disturb the fluid lines. Remove the drum itself, disconnect the handbrake cables from inside the car, then undo the 4 bolts that hold the back plate to the trailing arm.

Undo the various brackets that secure the brake line to the arm and damper lower bolt. Then you can carefully move the drum backplate still piped up with all the shoes etc still in place out of the way. Then drop the beam and swap over.

jackmorris

I'll bear that in mind thanks Tom, I'll be replacing the wheel cylinders as well as the shoes etc so i may have to remove them anyway!

Silky

Hi Jack,

Have you got a list of parts you think you'll need for the full conversion?

What gearbox/shafts are you going to use?

Thanks, Michael

rallyeash

Ive got a nice 68k gearbox, 4-2-1 manifold, starter and a few other bits which might help you?

jackmorris

Silky, my list is pretty similar to yours mate, i'm intending on using the 106 gti box at first but that may change down the line depending on what i think of it! Driveshafts i'll be using my basemodel ones as i believe they're okay. Although from what i've read i'll have to leave the oil seal hanging out a little bit to prevent leaks which tbh sounds like a massive bodge to me. Is there another solution to this does anyone know?

Ash I posted on your sale thread a while ago but nothing ever came of it. What manifold is it do you know? There are several little bits i would be after, i'll have to pm you with a small list! Your a bit far away for the gearbox and i suppose postage would be astronomically expensive.

rallyeash

Yeah I know, sorry just been a bit busy!

The manifold is for sale on here, believe it is a Maniflow item.

If your after enough bits inc the gearbox I can happily drive and meet you?

Edited by Anthony
No phone numbers please

jackmorris

Well the other half wants to go to longleat safari park so i may be nearby very soon, will let you know Ash thanks :)

rallyeash

Yeah I'm only 25 mins from there.

jackmorris

It'll probably be monday or tuesday if that works for you mate, i'll send a pm of what i need but there may be a couple bits extra.

jackmorris

Small update, got all my timing belt kit stuff in the post so mocked it all up as well as fit a new crank pulley. Cant put the belt on and time it yet though, cant fit the flywheel on with it on the stand to be able to line the timing holes up!

20150723_180952_zps0k5f9jom.jpg

Also got my hands on an engine loom, just need an unlocked ecu and thats the wiring bits collected!

20150722_150325_zpsifrcyrg8.jpg

Assuming I can get the space and help from my local garage friends it looks like i may get the engine sorted by retrorides! (Fingers and toes crossed)

johniban

Silky, my list is pretty similar to yours mate, i'm intending on using the 106 gti box at first but that may change down the line depending on what i think of it! Driveshafts i'll be using my basemodel ones as i believe they're okay. Although from what i've read i'll have to leave the oil seal hanging out a little bit to prevent leaks which tbh sounds like a massive bodge to me. Is there another solution to this does anyone know?

Ash I posted on your sale thread a while ago but nothing ever came of it. What manifold is it do you know? There are several little bits i would be after, i'll have to pm you with a small list! Your a bit far away for the gearbox and i suppose postage would be astronomically expensive.

The passenger side driveshaft needs a 106 gti inner CV joint fitting to the base model shaft as the base model CV joint doesn't sit in the diff far enough

jackmorris

I was curious about that, so i am able to fit the inner cv joint from the 106 gti with no issue? As said the oil seal hanging out doesnt sound like an ideal permanent solution to me!

johniban

Thats the idea, but i never had time to do the niggly bits on my rallye when i done the conversion so mine leaked a little