• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Vz_ace

205 Gti Gear Lever "play"

Vz_ace

I noticed lousy shifting gears last days especilally selecting the 5 gear. There is a lot of "play" in the gear lever in the 5. gear. In 1. and 2. seems to be quite ok. I have checke the gear lever bushings and they seem to be ok, although gear linkages . Ok, there is a little wear out, but not soo much.

Why there is so much play only in the 5. gear, wobbling gear lever, unprecise? coud there be a problem in the gearbox itself? Gearbox is BE3.

thanks for hints.

Regards, Vlado from Slovenia.

aldworth33

Usually the L bracket has play in the bush. That's what happened to mine, all the linkages were Baker bm ones and solid but the bracket they clip onto was wobbling about

dcc

First of all try tightening the ball joint on the subframe

Vz_ace

Ok, thanks for the replays. I have few more questions:

-Which ones are decent linkages, or where do you buy them? At Baker BM?

-What ball joint do you mean?

Is there anything could be worn in the gearbox itself?

cheers,

VZ

Miles

The ball joint is bolted to the Subframe and has a R clip attaching it (Or should do) very often comes loose, A new nut and large washer sorts this issue out, its the most common place for wobble in the linkage set up, even more so than the quadrant,

If you need linkage's I have them in stock

Vz_ace

Thanks, i'll check this thing out. And how much would cost your linkages with shipping to Slovenia EU?

Miles

3 Linkage kit shipped to you would be £52.00

Vz_ace

Who is the manufacturer? What are they made from? Do thejy have safety clips installed?

Ams

Hope you don't mind me posting the following VZ_Ace, it saves creating a new thread on the same topic:

I have the upgraded three rod kit and bronze bush kit. The gearstick has two inches of free play forwards/backwards regardless of what gear slot I'm in, however the gearstick has almost zero sideways play.

Would this also point towards the L bracket?

welshpug

yep, or a worn ball on the bottom of the stick

Miles

BE3 box's also have allot more free movement over BE1's,

Crescent205

BE3 box's also have allot more free movement over BE1's,

Really? How does a BE3 get more play then a a BE1? Surely it can only be linkage difference as I thought the selectors was the same set up and design.

welshpug

more slack in the internals

Crescent205

Oh, Thanks for the detailed reply, Would that mean there's more foreplay in the shaft?

Edited by Crescent205

Miles

Yep the BE1's have allot less movement, the later box's have that little bit more clearance inside which translates along the line to quite allot

Daviewonder

Would that mean there's more foreplay in the shaft?

You wish!!

• Like 2

Vz_ace

@Ams: No problem at all;). I'm very happy to hear it from you. I think we have exactly the same problem, no play sideways, too much play forwards and backwards. Let me know if you'll find some solution;).has

Now about quite a lot of free movement in the gearbox itself-I have noticed that, when I was under the car. That lever, which comes out of the gearbox (BE3), is pretty "moveable", so I think there is the main reason.. Is it possible, that there is something worn in the gearbox?

Ok I solved better shifting with tensioning of the clutch-cable. Maybe just the clutch basket springs are worn out....

Anyway- how to check if the ball is worn? how to get to it?

thanks again.

Miles

Nothing really in the box to wear, the foot goes into the Forks inside so nothing to fail, the only thing that can happen is 5th gear sync hub can fall off (Pulls over the rivets) but even that doesn't