• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Telf

Shaking Under Braking

welshpug

should be there indeed, only on one slider per caliper.

• Like 1

Telf

So I've changed the front calipers complete. Had to change a rear one too after snapping a bleed nipple. Shaking has reduced about 90%. I reused my front discs and pads so I guess they are slightly warped. Jackherer supplied me with a used set of discs/pads with the calipers for £45 . So Im going to fit them next!

Telf

also after bleeding the brakes and using nearly 1 L of brake fluid they still feel a little spongy(quite alot of pedal travel) does it just need more bleeding? Never known it happen before although it seems to stop fine

jackherer

Excellent! It might be worth giving your current discs and pads a chance to re-bed in and settle down to see if the shaking goes entirely, I think it's unlikely that the discs will be warped. Although saying that the discs and pads I gave you have barely any miles on them so are worth using.

How were you bleeding the brakes? When you keep your foot on the pedal does it stop firmly or keep sinking?

• Like 1

Telf

Update!

Had another look at he discs today. The right hand one was warped so ive changed it. Looks like I did have a caliper issue. Once again I have smooth shake free brakes.

thanks all for your contribution. Jackherer thanks for the calipers and the disc!

P

jackherer

How is the pedal now? Still spongy?

Telf

Yes mate a little probably needs bleeding again- after the trama of the last few days it can wait until I do the ball joint - Stops OK, just more travel than I'm used to

jackherer

If you were using the two man method you might want to try an easy bleed, I find they give you a firmer pedal much faster and use less fluid to do it. They're less likely to damage an old master cylinder too, with the two man method if the pedal goes down too far it can damage the seals.

Telf

Mate,

I just pumped the pedal until I got a nice flow and no spluttering at each brake- I've probably managed to damage my cylinder, its the way I roll at the moment!

It was a solo attempt as the ran deterred anybody from wanting to help, I had one of those 1 man kit things- rubbish didn't work at all.

jackherer

I guess you mean the one way valve on the end of a tube type? The easy bleed uses air pressure from your spare tyre to pressurise the reservoir so the pedal doesn't have to move.

pb_gunsons.jpg

Telf

ah ok I see- well its kind of done now, I'll just get jay to give me a hand when I do the ball joint Friday!

P

jackherer

You can tell if the master cylinder is damaged by pressing and holding the pedal, if it's just air in the system it will stop before it hits the floor but if the seals are knackered the pedal will very gradually sink lower and lower as the fluid goes back past the seals.