• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Starter Solenoid Click....click....click,click - Start

ALEX

It's been covered many times and I've followed a few topics and even bought the newer M001T80481 Starter. A Mitsubishi type too.

Though I still get the click, click, of the solenoid when turning the key but no starter motor action.

I had the same problem with many re-furbished starters on my old Gti and always lived with the problem as it usually starts after about 3 or 4 turns, but its annoying and embarrassing.

After reading that the original old style starters could be suffering from heat soak I bought the later M001T80481 type and it fits perfectly to my CTi.

I replaced all the main thick starter/alternator wiring and the little length to the slam panel fuse box in hopes that it would help, but still no difference.

If I connect a wire direct from the battery to the solenoid I have no problems, but its a bit of an unconventional way to start the car

My guess is there's a bad connection somewhere between the live to the ignition barrel back to the solenoid. (the connector on the solenoid is new).

I'm going to replace the two multi plugs from the ignition barrel this weekend with aftermarket ones, other than that I'm out of ideas other than fit a starter button.

Is there any other connector that can be changed / bypassed?

cheesegrater

You'll probably find that you're getting voltage drop on the solenoid wire which is causing it to not fully engage. I would check the solenoid feed connection condition from the two brown plugs under the dash and also where it goes into the glove box fuse box. You might find some bodgery where someone has lashed an immobiliser in. Any suspect connections that aren't oe, rewire, resolder or reterminate. :)

ALEX

Well changing the 2 multi plugs from the ignition barrel seemed to do the trick. The old plugs looked in reasonable nic and i was doubtful it would make a difference. But it starts every turn of the key now.