• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lightflow

Can You Solve The Mystery Of The Binnacle Screw...

BrenSavage

Just to add.  It’s the fork clip in the shroud/binnacle that clips down  onto the caged nut that id appreciate any advice on

thanks

lightflow

Brendan - I think (from memory now, it's been a few years) that there is no clip/faster on the binnacle side. The binnacle just has a plastic fork (or "hook" if you like).

The dash side has the caged nut/clip fastener assembly which is a push fit on to the dash mounting spiggot (again from memmory).

The binnacle pushes down and as it does fork slides into and around the fastening screw.

BrenSavage

Thank you so much for this insight.  I thought I may be missing something on the binnacle side.  And without another spare binnacle to reference its hard to tell.   I believe i have all the parts to secure this rattling binnacle to the dash.  1. An M5 caged nut with spring clip.  2.  8mm long M5 tork/grub screw

This should make the lug with the fork from the binnacle fit in to the dash, the tighten grub screw through the hole and the side to secure it all down.

cheers again.  A great forum.

bacardincoke

I think this is the same thing?

The nut came with it, may or may not be original, but fits correctly though it's 15mm long.

Seems to be a need for these, someone should create a replacement.

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

BrenSavage

This is awesome to see. Thanks so much for these helpful pics.  I can now see how the clip works to secure the binnacle to the dash cage nut.

really appreciate it this info from the forum.

hopefully one less rattle on the little pug.

if I can find this clip fastener!!!

agree, there seems a need for this item as they are easily lost.

lightflow

@bacardincoke Martin - this is the thing exactly - that picture 5 years ago would have answered this entire thread in one :-) Thanks!

Edited by lightflow

BrenSavage

If anyone has an idea where to find this sort of caged nut / speed clip combo it’s be great!

ALEX

Just sold 2 of these on ebay. Sorry no spares left but keep an eye out.

The design is strange no wonder the 205 rattles like it does.  I think the dash was designed by a bunch of clueless idiots. Looks good but it's a pile of s*it. 

BrenSavage

Thank Alex.

I'm dead keen (obviously) to obtain one of these obscure clips.  Glad to know they are around, even though rare.  If there is a specific name for the clip I can start hunting for it also?

thanks again

BrenSavage

Alex, even though sold, can you send me the link to the bay posting you had for the clips?  Just so I have the details to add you to a watch list 

ALEX

Not sure how to share a link on my phone but search for item number 

Filter compleated listings.

Edited by ALEX

BamBamGTI

Did anyone find out what part number the caged nut part was? Mine is missing