• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lukespeed

I Have A Poorly Peugeot - 1.9 Gti No Spark

Lukespeed

http://vid283.photobucket.com/albums/kk308/lukeo_1/video-2015-03-08-13-06-30.mp4

Attached is a video of said poorly Peugeot. I bought this as an unfinished project with a 2l turbo in it and I am returning it to a 1.9.

The engine, AFM and ECU came out a friends car for a gti6 conversion and is known to be a good engine, the rest of the electrics however are off several cars.

In the video is the first time the car started, hence the initial smiling then disappointment lol

It did the same thing twice but since then nothing at all not even a cough, there is no spark at all. I went through all the contacts I could removing corrosion and cleaning up earths etc

Still nothing, new dizzy cap and new rotor arm, still nothing

Tried a spare set of plug leads and still nothing

There is 12v to the positive terminal on the Coil and holds the voltage to the other terminal on the Coil

I am rather stuck any help or suggestions of what direction to go in would be greatly appreciated!

speno

have you a spare coil , oh you can just put a plug in the coil lead to see if it sparks too

dizzy wire connected ?

p.s Im no guru too

Lukespeed

I have got a spare coil, and i have tried it, still no spark, but the spare coil was one kicking about in the car when i got it so there is no guarantee its a good one

j_turnell

Have you checked the dizzy fly lead connection? Does the fuel pump still prime and the injectors fire?

Lukespeed

I assume the fly lead is the triple core cable from distributor to the ignition amp? If so that is fine and plugged in, and yes she's priming and injecting as it should, no issues with fueling

steve@cornwall

Are you absolutely certain there's no spark? That sounds very like starting without the ecu temp sensor plugged in.

Lukespeed

100% there's no spark over any cylinders, the only sensor that's unplugged is the reverse light sensor, would a dodgy ignition amp cause it to act like it is?

Rob Thomson

Ignition amp?

If you've got running injectors that means the LT side of the dizzy's working because the ignition pulses are what switch on the ECU and fuel pump via the Tachyometric relay. The problem must be downstream, so the amp or the coil.

Lukespeed

I am borrowing an ignition amp and coil tonight off a running car, so hopefully this will either solve the problem or rule them out the equation!

• Like 1

Lukespeed

Still not going :-(

hoodygoodwood

The lead coming out of the dizzy and going into the loom ( fly lead ) can break down internally - usually where the wire goes into the plastic moulding , it may look ok but could be causing your fault .While someone turns the engine over wobble the lead around a bit and it might fire up . New leads are not available unless you get very lucky but there are used ones around .

Rob Thomson

So just to be clear...

It's priming

It's cranking

It's pumping and injecting while cranking

It's not sparking at all

....?

welshpug

if its injecting then the dizzy fly lead is fine as that's where the signal travels to the ecu to fire the injectors.

from there its got to be coil or amp.

pugdamo

Have you got a wiring diagram? Do you have power to the ignition module also does it have a good earth?

Lukespeed

yes rob that's right, it primes, it cranks, its injecting while cranking, and no spark at all, no pops or farts, just no attempt at igniting :-(

iv put a new coil on it, no improvement, and also tried an ignition module off a running car on it and that hasn't improved it either, so im lost really

I thought it may be a dodgy earth even though I cleaned all the earth points up, so I put an earth direct from the head to the battery and still no luck

pugdamo

Did you check for power at the ignition module? Doesn't matter how many components you try replacing there never going to work of they have no supply or earth

welshpug

going direct from head to battery wont help if its the engine to chassis earth that's dead ;)

have you stuck a plug in the king lead and confirmed no spark? has to be touching earth to make a spark, don't just shove it in the end of the lead.

Lukespeed

Its alive! At the moment anyway lol

After testing every component they were all fine electrically, cut all the old connections off, bared fresh wire and new connectors, went to try it, didn't expect it to go and it struck up!

Happier than a small child at Christmas!

Thank you all for your input and advice its greatly appreciated!

Edited by Lukespeed
  • Like 1

pyrrhic

Lukespeed, which connections did you bare and redo? The ones at the distributor?

amusingadam

I'm interested to hear what wires you did a I'm in this exzact spot not spark but everything is working perfect

scbond

Only wire I've seen do this sort of thing due to corrosion is the starter wire (light blue, runs through the brown multi-plug). I had a struggle starting at times so checked the wire and it was corroded where a bullet connector has been used in the past. Cleaned it and it now works fine, though I plan to replace the entire wire soon.

amusingadam

Does that light blue wire not just cut the starter off a prevent the car from turning over ??

welshpug

no, its the trigger wire for the solenoid.

scbond

As above. Without it the engine won't start.

Lukespeed

sorry about the late reply, I bared the wires that go to the coil and re connected them, the only thing I could put it down to was that at somepoint the connection had gone dry and was struggling to pass enough current to get the car running. unfortunately after much enjoyment and spirited back road driving the head gasket went on Friday!