• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lightflow

Heater Blower, Slow Speed Trickle Even In Off Position.

lightflow

I just replaced by heater blower resistor for a brand new one and this has significantly sped up the blower on full speed. Interestingly the old one I pulled out had four pins, the new one I put in had five (my wiring loom has 5 plugs for it so that's what I thought it should have)

I just noticed today that when I turn on the ignition, the heater fan starts up on a trickle even though the control knob is in the off position. At first I thought the cassette player was malfunctioning as I was hearing this tiny whirring sound.

Anybody seen this before?

Daviewonder

What phase is your 205?

lightflow

Phase 2, 93. I didn't look it up on Servicebox...

Edited by lightflow

Daviewonder

That's me out of ideas then. :lol:

farmer

Have you tried the refurbishment method on here ?

Slo

Ive seen folks argue black and blue that phase 1 blowers spin at a low speed like this when the slider is set to off, mine never did this though.

dcc

Is it an aircon model?

• Like 1

lightflow

No Dan not air con, and Craig, no I put a brand new one in so I didn't need to faff with refurbishment and that I would have no problems with it and it would work first time . ????

Hmmm Dan do you think it only the air con which needs the five pin version?

Edited by lightflow

Anthony

The difference between the 4 and 5 pin variants is that the 5 pin bypasses the resistor completely on full speed, hence the fan spins a little quicker. You can interchange the two without issue though, and it seems to depend on what Peugeot had to hand at the time as to what is fitted to a given car.

lightflow

Excellent thanks Anthony. Mine certainly runs a lot faster with the new resistor/transistor in place. I'll have to get a meter on it and see what inputs and outputs are looking like.

When the car is running there is no way this will be an issue as it is a tiny whirring tick over, but it's piece of mind knowing that everything is working as it should.

lightflow

On a quick check today whilst I had the heater control front panel off I had a prod around with the meter. It looks to me like the blower is controlled by a potentiometer which is on the back of the white control panel. That pot has three output lines which are tracks on the front of the control panel.

I found that across two of the tracks the voltage varied as I turned the fan speed setting wheel. That voltage went up to about 11 volts at max, but even in the off position it never went below 2v. This might explain the trickle tick over on the fan which never shuts down fully now that I have the new resistor in.

I have just put my dash all back together so don't want to dive in again immediately. Any idea how easy is it to remove the white control panel? I know it has some cables clipped attached to the blower controls which might be a pain. I think I need to get to the potentiometer on the back and see what can be done. Failing that I will be trying to source a replacement or revert back to my old 4 pin resistor and put up with a slow blower in the summer :-(

Nithy

i am having similar problem. Mine is a non Ac car, 1988 205 CTI 1.6 Phas1.

the blower motor is stuck at a constant speed... 

Guess my controls are gone.. any ideas? how to fix it or if I can get one from somwwhere?

image.png.8e3823b87a70594f24fcf03997e0cab4.png

Thanks

Nithy

dst

This is normal on a lot of cars - forcing a small amount of air through the cabin to make sure it wouldn't pull exhaust gas in. My 87GTI does it, the 89GT does it and my other classics do it too.

Nithy

its not running slow or low, its running on full power 

Nithy

Also the slide control lever has no effect. regardless of its posistion

Nithy

Puzzled...

I removed the lower dash, and disconnected the control panel switch(slide control completly, so no Heating control rheostat ), switched the car on the blower goes at a constant speed. As same power as I have menntioned in the posts above..

so its getting power even without the control switch, is this normal???

SRDT

It could be the darlington transistor that failed then.