• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest xpug

Lightweight Car Battery ?

Guest xpug

Is there such a thing as a lightweight battery for a car that gives the same results as a standard battery.

Maybe they go on race cars ???

xpug

C_W

You can have any battery rated at 12v of any size it just depends what sort of load it will be subject to and how long it has to last. So if all you need it for is to run the injection system (not much load) then you can fit a small battery and it should be fine.

Mitsubishi EVOs have little batteries and seem to do ok.

Nissan Micras have very small batteries.

Guest xpug

No i need something that has alot of guts in it for cold starting.

i guess i will have to stick with the standard battery.

xpug

SimonJ

See Demon Tweeks catalogue. Good range of Varley lightweight batteries in there.

fiji bob

problem is the only real way to lighten a battery is to use smaller or thinner lead plates so they will dissolve or be damaged faster than a heavy duty type, youd probably be best with the standard 45amp size battery

cybernck

racers tend to use small motorcycle batteries as a cheap substitute for a proper lightweight battery.

just a thought.

fiji bob

its ok on a track day car but i wouldnt want to depend on one starting the car on a freezing cold morning

red

One of the lads who sprints used a lightweight battery on his Rover 220 , used every day and at events but only lasted 18 months, it was about a 1/4 of the size of a normal battery.

Regards Russ......

Edited by red

Sign in to follow this