• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mowflow

Timing Belt. Is This Right?

mowflow

Currently doing my first ever timing belt. I bought a continental kit from misterauto but a thread I read on here has me concerned I don't have the correct belt.

I have a 1990 h reg 1.6. It's the spring loaded tensioner type. I'm replacing the pump and tensioner as well (correct tensioner came in kit).

My concern is with the timing marks on the belt. They don't line exactly with the pulley marks and there seems to be a lot of slack in the belt between the pulleys. The belt is straight but I can push it in really far. Will all this go when the tensioner is in place? Surely the marks won't line up then?

IMG_20150222_173120_zpsqnrt9ceu.jpg

IMG_20150222_173152_zpsy9vzyhvj.jpg

Mattr5uk

From the look of it I'm certain you need to have the arrows on the belt facing the other way and you should find if the arrows are near the crankshaft pulley that mark on the belt will line up correctly with the indentation on the crankshaft pulley.

Hopefully that makes sense if you look at it closely in the photos take note of the markings and that should make it clearer.

The slack should be all on the tensioner side and should go when tensioned and timed correctly.

pugdamo

As above,you've got the belt on in the wrong rotation and the mark youve lined up on the cam is the crank one.

mowflow

Ah, now I look at where the marks are that does make sense. So basically I've put it on both upside down and the wrong way round.

Doesn't really bode well does it?

Edited by mowflow

Mattr5uk

Yeah that's right, if you haven't take the spark plugs out to make it easier when you turn it over by hand.

Easy mistake to make if you've not done it before, just take your time and turn it over by hand to make sure there's no piston to valve contact and it'll be fine.

Worst thing that could happen is you get to do your first head off job!

• Like 1

Slo

jesus christ please tell us you havent fired the starter yet?

when you are timing the cam with the crank the only side that matters is the front side between the timing marks the rest can be taken up with the tensioner altho when i did mine i had to push on it a little more than the spring could to get it taught enough.

the belt should have 113 teeth

Edited by Slo

mowflow

I don't even have a starter motor fitted let alone fired it. No battery, no injectors, no inlet, no clue.....

• Like 1

Slo

Thats a relief then at least you asked before it was too late

• Like 1

mowflow

I'm a long time believer in that old saying regarding it being better to ask the question and look a fool for a few minutes than to keep quite and remain an idiot forever. :)

This restoration is a learning process for me and it's being eased by all the helpful, extremely knowledgable and ever prompt to respond patrons of this here forum.

Edited by mowflow
  • Like 1

j_turnell

Once you have the marks in the right place and release the tensioner, i often find it's still a bit slack. I generally remove the timing pin from the camshaft and turn it anti clockwise slightly to achieve the correct tension. Tighten everything up and turn it over by hand and make sure the timing holes line up.

• Like 1

Mattr5uk

Best way to learn is by doing it yourself and there's enough people here that are willing to help with advice.

Good luck with the restoration!

• Like 1