• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

Throttle Bodies Without Injectors?

tomcolinjones

something that is playing on my mind. Throttle bodies that are just the butterfly valve, the same as the early bmw m5's, is there any benefit to these over twin 40 carbs or standard inlet? They are fitted using existing injectors in the head. Would these be simple to get running well? I haven't seen anything on here regarding them. Can get a set of 4 40mm bodies in dcoe fitting and lots of trumpets available. Works out similar in price to buying used Webbers and refurbishing them. I'm wondering if they would be more reliable than carbs, better mpg, and give better performance than a standard manifold? Obviously they should make the right noises. Any experiences and opinions welcomed

tomcolinjones

another positive I guess is that they are very short, which would make easier fitting to a Tu injection engine in the 205 engine bay? I'm a complete novice with this kind of thing ( most things)

welshpug

the benefit is that its not a carburettor :D

of course they would be more reliable, more efficient, more power, more torque, etc.

being short only has one positive, fitting, it wont help torque or power, tbh space isn't a massive issue in a 205 as it is in a 106.

you've forgotten about a mappable ecu in your cost calculations, but you'll soon get that back in fuel savings if you use it as a road car, rebuilds will be less frequent.

• Like 1

tomcolinjones

thanks for the quick reply wp! Something like an ms1? And leave it on standard ignition.?

• Like 1

Anthony

That would work, although you'd not get the full benefit leaving it running a clockwork dizzy.

If you really must use MS, you'd be better using a modified one with the "extra" code to make it a full fuel and ignition ECU.

• Like 1

tomcolinjones

thanks Anthony, there's no preference to ecu, its just the one im aware of that is solely a injection ecu. Megasquirts tend to be home mappable which is outside my comfort zone. A complete system like emerald with wide band lambda sensor and non distributor ignition would be ideal.

tomcolinjones

would someone be able to make me a loom for this? The bodies I've seen have a Bosch tps, I'm thinking of using a s1 rallye engine or xsi (kdx?) would standard injectors be useable?

• Like 1

105e

If you are thinking of emerald it all comes with loads of instructions and its easy to make the wiring loom , help via e-mail and presumably phone is prompt. You can adjust it on your laptop if you think you know best. I will certainly be getting another one for my mi 16 engine project when I have the funds.

• Like 1

RossD

Jenvey SF bodies come without injector holes - I've got them along with an emerald ECU on my TU engine. See project link in my sig below.

• Like 1

Miles

Std injectors or say Clio ones as they are dirt cheap brand new and have a good spray pattern, As always ECU wise see who local to you maps what,

• Like 1

tomcolinjones

ross I've got a similar plan to you. I am also struggling to find a xsi or a rallye engine. I was hoping to fit a big cam and tb's along with a decent exhaust manifold. I don't really want to go for a heavy 1.6 block.

tomcolinjones

I've put an advert over on 106 rallye forum hopefully something will come up.