• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Malc

Drive Shaft Seals (Leaking)

Malc

Any one had issues with diff seals, just fitted a new gearbox with new diff seals, done this many times before with no issues, however I cannot get the drivers side to seal this time, replaced the new seal with another new one but still the same. Checked the seal is in square which it is. Was fine previously with the old box

Anyone had this problem before, or any advice?

j_turnell

Have you left the seal a couple of mm proud? If you knock the seal all the way in, flush, then they tend to leak.

hoodygoodwood

Have you painted your driveshaft , its possible that a drip of paint has found its way onto the sealing surface - I have found this before .

Damage/corrosion to the sealing face ? I normally spin the driveshaft while cleaning the seal lip contact area with a piece of 2000 grit W+D to freshen it up .

Malc

Yeah left the seal about 2mm proud also not painted the driveshaft, going to change the speedo housing as have a few spare, also try another seal and clean up the driveshaft, hopefully that does the job. Blooming strange as never had this issue before.

Rob Thomson

I've recently been having weepy driveshaft seals issue after years of never having any problems at all. Thankfully my leaks aren't too bad.

I blame crap re-con driveshafts.

dcc

i doubt the shafts are at fault if they're clean. I would check your seals for manufacturing faults or defects.

• Like 1

j_turnell

Try replacing the large O ring that goes between the speedo housing and the box.

Malc

Now sealed, I ended up giving the driveshaft a light sand (2000 paper) and refitted an old seal, bingo. That's one leak fixed.

Ramigojag

Bit of a bump, but saves cluttering up the forum with loads of new threads.

Does anyone have a part number for these two seals. I found them on service box, but then the number that gives does not tie up to the febi ones that come off the VIN from there catalogue

welshpug

There's a new part number.

Ramigojag

So the one on servicebox will be the newest one surely. The dimensions given by febi and Peugeot are so close I reckon they are the same and probably just febi haven't crossed it to the latest Peugeot number.