• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AntonAndersen

Doing Eprom Copies?

AntonAndersen

Hello.

Im normally running with a VEMS management, but modifying the OEM ecu, has recently caught my eye.
Modifying the OEM ecu, seems to be a cheaper alternative, if i'd planned to change cams or ect. small upgrades - especially, if just copying an already made EPROM.

My question is pretty straight forward: Is it possible, just with a "EPROM burner" from ebay, to copy material from an existing EPROM, and write it on a new one - or are there 'more to it' ?

Ryan

I've read Mi16 EEPROMs using a TL866CS programmer (about £30 on ebay). I can't imagine there are any problems with reading other chips and copying them.

petert

Yep, just copy and burn. Just make sure you get the right speed (or faster). Modifying the tables is the greater challenge. The limitation of the early Motronics is the AFM, rather than the fuel or ignition tables.

AntonAndersen

So its just about getting a TL866CS programmer, and im able to do copies?
Can i edit/read parameters from the EPROM files through ex. TunerPro?
What is the XDF and BIN files?

Ryan

The BIN file is the file you get from the EPPROM programmer (it's just a straight copy of whatever was programmed into the chip). I'm not that familiar with Tuner Pro, but I think the XDF file is a special file that tells Tuner Pro where all the tables and data are in the BIN file. XDF files have to be written specially for each type of engine. You'd have to check if there's already an XDF file for your engine (try asking on the Tuner Pro forum).

What engine have you got? I've got copies of a couple of Mi16 ECUs I can send you if you want something to play around with before buying anything.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

AntonAndersen

Hi mate, sorry i hadn't answered you - thanks for your reply's tho!

About them Mi16 copies, i would very much like to see those files :-) !

Currently building both TU5J4 and a XU10 RGX, so just trying to learn something, before throwing a programmable ECU on.

Ryan

This is the only one I've got handy at the moment. It's from a 2-row BX 16V ECU (part 0 261 200 140). It's identical to the equivalent 405 ECU (0 261 200 139)

BX140.zip

Anthony

That's curious - if they're identical, why have they got different part numbers I wonder?

• Like 1

Ryan

Looks like I was mistaken. I've just checked and the '139 version is slightly different. The program in the first half of the ROM is identical, but some of the data in the second half is slightly different.

405-139.zip

petert

Here you go. You might like this one better.

139B.BIN.txt

Stuey

I looked into this a while back as my Mi16 has a chipped chip, supposedly a Superchips version. I wanted to return it to stock as Peter T had suggested that the stock Aus spec map is hard to better without other mods (and mine is stock).

Anyway, a local chipping expert said it would be a five minute job if I had the BIN file. I have three ST M27256 chips I picked up from a seller in Germany for cheap. But I never found the BIN file for the Aus spec ECU.

Anyway, it's meant to be easy.

wicked

Most EPROM programmers can also read EPROM's, so if you have the ECU, you can make the BIN yourself....

petert

Stuey, I'll send you some 3 row bin files.

Stuey

Thanks Peter.

Wicked, that's just it - I don't have the original IC. I don't get owners that would chip the car and not keep the original (unless Superchips remapped it, but I'm pretty sure they sold ready to go chips). The original owner (it's a one owner car) just said 'Duh' when I asked what he did with the original IC.

Edited by Stuey