• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lightflow

Heater Resistor / Slow Fan?

lightflow

I have done some searching, but not quite found and answer...

I have a new Valeo fan which I installed. The new fan runs fine, but perhaps on the slow side even though it is brand new. I say slow (I only have a modern car to compare it to and can't remember what my 205 was like back in my 20's) :P

I took out the resistor (it's a Phase 2 Seim 5 pin) and the are some minor signs of ageing but it's certainly not all corroded. Before I pay out on a new one do you think slow running could be down to the resistor and worth replacing it, or could it be that the control cables are stretched and not setting it on full speed when turned fully clockwise?

lightflow

By the way - I re-read this :

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=147053

"moving the disc about greatly varies the speed of the fan"

Maybe it is just this after all. Apologies if it's all been covered and talked to death. Any other thoughts before I shell out on a new resistor (I don't want to do the "hack") if it could potentially be a problem with the heater dial simply not demanding enough speed.

farmer

It tends to be the resistor that fails on them.

Not cheap either new from Peugeot.

Can be repaired, do a search for that process.

lightflow

Yes indeed, many thanks Craig - I read that repair thread, but I sort of thought mine looked too clean to have a problem. I reckon I will just go for the 5 Pin Seim from Neat Auto parts about 20 quid cheaper than Peugeot.

farmer

I replaced mine from Peugeot a few years ago, improved the speed a bit.

I think in general they are not great anyway.

lightflow

That is a useful post from Ryan Simon - but not really what I get. My symptoms are variable speed over the range which suggests the transistor is working, but the top speed just isn't that fast. That post suggests that at top speed the transistor is bypassed. It sort of feels like that bypassing is not happening with mine and it never gets to run at full speed.

So I was wondering what might be going on behind the control dial... perhaps the bypass relay is not working... now where will that be...?

Edited by lightflow

Ryan

By the way - I re-read this :

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=147053

"moving the disc about greatly varies the speed of the fan"

Maybe it is just this after all. Apologies if it's all been covered and talked to death. Any other thoughts before I shell out on a new resistor (I don't want to do the "hack") if it could potentially be a problem with the heater dial simply not demanding enough speed.

If you've got a soldering iron then try adding the bypass wire as shown later on that page. (http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=147053&do=findComment&comment=1325291)

That spring contact with the the metal disc is a really bad design, and bypassing it can make a big difference.

farmer

New circuit boards were £100 last known retail.

Unlike it's that never seen one fail.

If you do think it's that I keep a couple new ones, fire up a wanted post at the time.

lightflow

In this thread: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=73684

Josh states:

"The relay is only present on the 5 pin modules, and it bypasses the transistor at full speed to give the blower motor that little bit of extra umph. The usual problems are either corroded contacts or a defunct transistor."

I have a five pin module. So I reckon the relay is not kicking in. Hence no bypass (no full speed). So if what Josh says is correct I may need a new module, unless I can get to the relay within...

lightflow

Cheers Craig/Ryan I'll keep investigating. So the bypass wire is just a better earth for the bypass relay?

Edited by lightflow

davey205

any follow up on this? I have the same problem.

lightflow

David,

A new resistor fixed the problem for me. I took out an old 4 pin resistor, and I fitted a new 5 pin resistor which significantly increased the speed. Apparently the 5th pin provides an override of the resistor and puts the fan on maximum. I don't know if your car will have 5 pin loom, mine did.

• Like 1

pp205

Bit of a thread resurrection but can anyone confirm the part ID of the 5 pin resistor please? Am I right in thinking it is 6445 91 with the 4 pin being 6445 90?

I couldn't see that it stated which was which on service box.

Thanks, Simon

adybatt

Thought I’d add that the earth wire mod (bypassing the disk) detailed above worked a treat for me today. 1-3V to the blower prior to the mod, 3-9V post mod.

thanks!

3554EA43-8119-4554-B249-2DD7A8A9C268.jpeg

• Like 1

Dimi

Hi  guys, my one is Ph 2 and I struggle to find the fan resustor. I looked around the fan and did not see anything. Then spotted  this Valeo thing from the attached photo. Can you please provide a photo of its location. Also what is this Valeo?

IMG_20200818_213649.jpg

Ozymandis

Your looking in the wrong place, get in the footwell and look verticaly upwards, find the blower motor and its plug, to one side of it is a plug that goes to the speed controller

bacardincoke

Gave my own blower etc. an overhaul last year after reading the very same old posts mentioned above... excellent advice given, very useful.

Your LHD so may be differences I'm not aware of, the below refers to a 1989 1.5 phase car.

From the passenger footwell look up under the glove box towards the center console side.

Remove the felt trim piece that's held in place by the single bendable metal tab screwed to the bulkhead, it'll come out easily.

That'll reveal the underside of the blower mechanisim.

The part your after is pushed up cartridge like into the housing from beneath and held by the 2 x screws high lighted, after disconnecting the plug in connector.

As an aside my resistor was in good nick, just a bit sticky from being insitu for years.

The metal disc mentioned was stuck in place and while a simple clean freed it up I thought the spring arm that should hold it tightly in place wasn't making that great a connection. 

The arm's fragile and I didn't want to be bending it too much so replaced the existing disc with a thicker one to bring the contacts closer together.

I made it by slicing a new one from a bolt with a long shaft, like the one pictured... bit of a fiddly job but easily doable.

I'd also recommend you take the blower itself apart if possible, mine was full of dust, fluff and leaves... wasn't difficult to do and runs silently now. 

That Valeo part comes back as something to do with the air con - maybe you don't have a fan resistor and that instead? Only guessing!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Dimi

Thanks to Ozymandis and Bacardincoke's photo of the resistor with the wires attached to it! This is what helped me identify it because the location on my LHD 93 model is right in the middle behind the centreIMG_20200907_215931.thumb.jpg.dc1303de12a5c67034f5d30475362270.jpg console. See photo. I unscrewed one side which is near the driver's footwell, but even having thin wrists cannot get to the other screw. Will keep trying tomorrow.

Dimi

Ok, I got my hands on the bugger. Here are two photos before I cleaned it. Do you have suggestions how to disassemble it and inspect, or as per Adybatt, do some mods?

IMG_20200913_151313.jpg

IMG_20200913_151333.jpg

bacardincoke

Yours is different to mine , I've the type Adybatt does.

Looks to be in good condition, just dirty.

From recollection at that time, had I needed a replacement it would have been very hard to come by... no new ones at all and second hand was scarce.

Those I did find were very expensive, plus obviously no guarantee they'd be any better than the existing one.

For that reason alone I'd leave it be if it's working as intended and other than cleaning it there's nothing to take apart anyway, with the exception of the spring arm and disc it's solid state.

From your image it looks like you've a disc beneath that spring arm, if so that's the contact point that needs to be working effectively. The mods shown are simply by-passing that to create a better contact if the original is broken or poor.

I'd try to clean the existing item first, you don't know if the mod will cause unforseen problems in your case, maybe clearance / fitting issues for LHD with the additional wire for example and you risk damaging something that you can't easily replace.

DamirGTI

Just clean up the leafy stuff , spray with some contact cleaner , clean up the connector terminals and if you want can do the bypass earth as above to increase the fan speed .

That one is a little bit different model , i have the same on mine , if wanted add earth to "speed up" the fan :

IMG_20200913_151333.thumb.jpg.8f68b8f16d511fa1416fdd239a736639.jpg

Edited by DamirGTI

Dimi

Cheers, Bacardincoke and Damir. I will bridge the two points with some clips just to see if it will increase the speed and will report back on the weekend. Now it seems it only blows on low through the whole range of the rheostat.

Dimi

So as I was getting ready to make the bridge as per above, I remembered that there was something about a spring somewhere, which I did not see. However, upon closer inspection and rereading the above info I decided to try and pry up to the long metal piece and noticed that it barely lifts in the centre!  So I levered up the "spring"  and pushed through a strip of fine sand paper folded in two and pulled it front the back while spraying el connector's cleaner. Apparently, there was almost no contact between the spring and the base. Now, the fan turns well through the range up to high, while originally it only spun on lowest through the whole rheostat range of the knob.

Big thanks again to Bacardincoke and the whole bunch who contribute to all! Here is the photo.

IMG_20200922_205553_3.jpg

Edited by Dimi
  • Like 1

SootySport

Just been fiddling with my 4 pin resistor as above.   The spring can be released from the circuit by reading the clip in the hole in the circuit board. You’ll then see a small metal disc sandwiched between the spring and the transistor, it will fall out when you invert the board. My metal disc was broken in two pieces. Clean the metal disc, spring contact point and surface of the transistor as in previous post, replace the metal disc and retention the spring for good electrical contact, press end of spring back into circuit board.  My fan now works at all speeds again.

81850562-11C0-4A41-BD42-514A8757E08B.jpeg

DA363C8E-29CD-4DDE-BCE7-128D2F2A5923.jpeg