• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
woodymi16

Mi16 Coolant Pipe Corroded

woodymi16

I need some advice on repairing this pipe on my MI16 engine.

post-17804-0-22803300-1419935429_thumb.jpg

I have tried to find a replacement but no luck,

Simes

If that is the back of the block, Remove it all, it's unnecessary.

I think it acts as a pre heater in cold weather for the throttle body.

Tbh I can't remember I removed mine in 2004!

welshpug

Nothing to do with the throttle body, just a pipe from the thermostat housing back to the water pump.

petert

It's the heater bypass tube, allowing faster warm up in cold weather. Coolant bypasses the heater matrix. Remove the tube from the thermostat housing. You'll need to remove the housing from the head and then use an oxy torch to warm it up. The tube will then slide out easily. Tap with 1/2" BSP and screw in a blanking plug. Use an alloy 205 distribution block down the bottom. They have two small entries instead of three.

Edited by petert

Miles

As said it's not needed in a 205 as I doubt you'll have the correct Stat in there anyway as thats 2 stage, Remove pipe or use a end cap, Also then the water dist union on the back of the engine will need changing, Use a std 205 GTi one (Alloy) as the plastic ones are hardened with age and break.

S@m

I did exactly what Peter T recommends above and it worked a treat, easy enough to do and takes away a few more points at which leaks can occur.

My heaters were just as quick at heating up afterwards.

joris_andriesse
On 12/30/2014 at 12:37 PM, petert said:

It's the heater bypass tube, allowing faster warm up in cold weather. Coolant bypasses the heater matrix. Remove the tube from the thermostat housing. You'll need to remove the housing from the head and then use an oxy torch to warm it up. The tube will then slide out easily. Tap with 1/2" BSP and screw in a blanking plug. Use an alloy 205 distribution block down the bottom. They have two small entries instead of three.

I recon it does, but just to be sure, will this also work using the plastic distribution block (4010006)? Since the alloy might be hard to find in good condition.

petert

Plastic is fine. If it has has three entries, you'll just need to cap one off.

mmt

Is this the same on the gti6 engine. Where there also is a steel tube from the back to the thermostat housing. Can it be deleted ? 

would simplify the setup nicely. 

mmt

Would a race setup benefit from deleting the back tube? 

joris_andriesse
7 hours ago, mmt said:

Would a race setup benefit from deleting the back tube? 

You will loosse a little bit of wait and reduce the change on leakage.

joris_andriesse

obviously I meant "weight" :p

mmt

:-) thought so. 

how about the cooling would I gain anything. I mean, would it get better cooling? 

joris_andriesse

No experience myself, but what I do read over here, is that those are the bennefits.
This coolant route is apparantly meant to warm up the engine a little bit faster in colder conditions. Something that you most likely do not need on a race track 205.

petert

I agree. You don't need the fast warm up bypass tube. You want all coolant passing through the engine.

SRDT

This is how they did it in Gr.A, the expansion tank is the black one :

576da7ed286d0_Circuiteau2.png.9fc91775e8

mmt

Thanks guys. Mine is a track car only. I’ll delete the tube to get all coolant through the cooler as Peter writes.  Been having trouble with overheating. Flushed the system and installed a brand new radiator. Hope this Can help a little as Well.