• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Supersport2

Clutch Fork Fitting

Supersport2

C7B2E291-2E72-4679-8F3A-95F8BA06FB3E_zps

Just fitting this new fork, but I'm a little unsure what to do with the pin. My thoughts are to tighten it up as much as I can with mullgrips, then angle grind the end off, as there's no screw head on it. Is that about right??

chipstick

Knock the pin in a bit more with a hammer. That style of pin takes a retaining spring clip.

Supersport2

It has threads on the other end, and no clip in the bag!

welshpug

if it has a thread on youve fitted it backwards

Tom Fenton

You are putting it in back to front. The threaded bit is to allow you to wind a nut on it to remove it.

dcc

turn it around. also did you clean out the hole first

• Like 1

Supersport2

It has threads on the pin, but without the arm on, it still won't thread through the fork. It won't go from the other side, it's too big. The splines are preventing it going in.

Cleaned the hole and new bushes too.

Tom Fenton

The splines are supposed to be an interferance fit into the hole. Thats what hold the pin in place.

Supersport2

So just knock it home?

Tom Fenton

Yes buddy

hoodygoodwood

As stated the thread on the pin should face to the front of the car , this is crucial as its the only way of removing it in the future . I use 7mm strut top nuts and spacers to pull it out .I tapped mine in but put a spacer between arm and gearbox casing so the plastic bushes did not take a hammering .

I have just done some research on this subject and you should fit yellow bushes to a clutch shaft with a J stamped on the top of it I believe . Your clutch arm/shaft looks like the newer type - not sure if it has the J . Non J should have white bushes .

I just changed these on my car as the wrong type had been fitted , clutch did not feel right and the 2 fingers were touching the release bearing off centre .

Would like a 2nd opinion on this .

mowflow

I read lots of posts on this when I replaced mine. It was yet another small job that turned into a mission.

As hoodygoodwood says, you need white bushes with the newer style fork/arm. The new fork has different length prongs for the clutch release bearing and the bushes need to be matched as they ensure the fork sits at the right distance. I believe if you use the new style fork with the old style yellow bushes you burn through a clutch release bearing every couple of hundred miles. I read this on here, not personal experience.

When I fitted my fork I had the box out of the car. I had the same issue as you with the pin. It wouldn't screw through the other way (from the back) and the gearbox casing makes it impossible to hit with a hammer from that side. When I eventually gave up and hit the pin through from the same side as you have it I discovered the end fouled the box casing meaning the fork lifted as the arm swung/clutch pedal pressed. I ended up getting in with a dremel to cut the end.

I know what I did wasn't correct but it works. It was partly surrender though as I will need to remove the whole fork again should the bushes or anything else need replacing in future.

Supersport2

I have a white bush for the bottom and yellow for the top. Fork looks like it's situated correctly, but i won't find out till we re up and running in a few months.

Thank you for the help.

Paul_13

Definitely change the bushes! They should both be the same colour

hoodygoodwood

That was the forum topic I read when I thought my bushes looked wrong . Also checked Peugeot service box where it mentions the J .I have yellow bushes and a J marked shaft on my Goodwood , Miami and on my spare box .

I checked the contact point of the 2 fingers touching the release bearing and it was off centre by a good few mm .I dropped the box and changed the whites for yellows last week .

I have seen an Ebay seller with clutch arm/forks showing one white and one yellow bush and wondered what was going on - was it neat car parts ?

Edited by hoodygoodwood

Supersport2

It's a german make, which the name escapes me at the moment. From eBay..

Ordered some white bushes.