• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MaxGTX

205 Gtx - Done The Wrong Way

MaxGTX

I figured I'd write a thread about my GTX and what I'm doing to it over the next few months.

I'm hoping to have it running reliably for when I pass my test (Eventually) so far I've had a few issues, split cv gaitor, and a hole in the exhaust. both of which have been fixed since. Pictures? Everyone likes pictures.

This is my favourite. 9kIidDL.jpg advert picture, but hey, better shot than I could take.

a8Bi2hz.jpg?1

Current issues: The car pops out of gear, always third, when lifting off, going round a corner or hitting a bump. Possibly linkages/engine mount. I have no idea, I'm not a mechanic, infact, I shouldn't be allowed near tools.

Ignition barrel collapsed and trapped the key inside. Have since got a new barrel, and my dad who was very kindly fitting it for me, damaged the little black connector, that connects the wires to the barrel (I hope that makes sense) The hunt for one of those starts now...

It runs rough, like it's choked up, although the plugs are fine. (I'm not sure there's anything else I should be checking) I changed the air filter tonight. I'm proud to say my first go at anything mechanical. Please don't laugh.

I also own a 2001 Nissan Micra, and a 1994 Subaru Legacy. I really need that license..

many many things to learn. I hope you don't get too bored/annoyed at the many stupid questions.

Thanks for reading, I hope I posted this in the right place.

-MaxGTX.

Edited by MaxGTX

allye

This takes me back! Max, you've got yourself the best possible car to start playing with, check out my rallye build in my sig, I was only a few years older than you when I started that (I assume you're 16/17?) and before that when I was 17 I changed the oil and brakes on my 205 van!

I noticed the other day you had issues getting your barrel out, it's quite easy, there is one screw which holds it in, out of sight if I remember, then you put the key in and turn it to stage 1, this will allow you to push in the locating pins that situated the barrel in the correct place. The wiring is unplugged slightly further back not directly in the back of the barrel.

Good luck and keep us posted, a TU engined 205 is the best handling of them all!

MaxGTX

I was 18 a few weeks ago. From what I can tell, not too many people here my age. :/ I've owned the micra for nearly two years - I'm lucky to have lots of friends in the micra community that have been around to help (like when my dad thought it'd be a good idea to chase down a 1940's MG, which lead to an impressive fire coming from the brake calipers)

I'm not very mechanically minded, I'm just determined to learn.

Should be a good learning curve, and hopefully end up with a reliable, well handling 205 at the end of it. :)

Thanks for the reply :)

Alan77

Welcome Max, you'll learn loads about working on your 205 and the knowledge and experience on here is astonishing. Good luck with sprucing up the GTX.

camgti

Great to see you giving it a go.

I was once 18 and keen to work and learn about working on cars.

My only bit of advice would be this.

Make sure you keep the car on the road while working on it. Otherwise you become complacent and 1 week and 100$ turns into 4 years, 200hp and a massive hole in your wallet.

Get in there onto those small jobs one at a time, always do 30 minutes a day to chip away. ( a stitch in time saves nine ) and yo will learn and achieve things.

Im sure there are a few on here who can agree with me?

All the best, nice lookin ride!

Cam

MaxGTX

Thanks very much for the reply. As I said, I don't need the car daily yet, so it being off the road isn't an issue.

However I would like to start learning in it again soon!

I hope you're all prepared for the multitude of stupid questions.

camgti

We ask stupid questions too. They just seem more complicated and therefore more worthy. There not... Haha!

Get crackin.

MaxGTX

We ask stupid questions too. They just seem more complicated and therefore more worthy. There not... Haha!

Get crackin.

Fair point, can't make excuses for ever.

Need parts. Need the bit of wire that connects the ignition barrel to the... something. I'll get pictures tomorrow, then hopefully someone can tell me the proper name, maybe even a part number and we'll be back on track. Not going to worry about the gearbox until it's driveable, because why would you?