• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
borufus

Lsd Oil Grade

borufus

im fitting a lsd in my be3 box and wonder what grade oil to use? Any help welcomed thanks

welshpug

normal 75w80 BV oil.

Gman

What LSD is it? ATB or plate

borufus

It's a quaife lsd ? Sorry should have stated that ! Thanks

Gman

Normal pug gear oil is fine.

boldy205

Is it recommended to change the oil at more regular intervals with a plate diff?

borufus

I'm reliably informed that if I use anything other than the original oil then the fear change will be stiff especially when cold

camgti

Yep. And if its thicker it makes the syncros work much harder.

Stabdard Pug oil is the best.

Cam

borufus

Think I'll go for the standard oil, thanks everyone!

allanallen

Is it recommended to change the oil at more regular intervals with a plate diff?

I'd say yes, particularly if it's a competition car. Mine probably got changed 3 times in 3000 miles for various reasons and it was very s*itty every time.

And thinking about it, it's essentially the same as my enduro bikes clutch, ie friction plates running in oil. Gearbox Oil change intervals on my bike are less than 1000miles......

Edited by allanallen

wicked

Recommendation from KAAZ (my plate diff)

How often should I change out my differential oil?
It depends, our recommendation for street vehicles rarely driven on tracks should be changed every 3,500 to 5,500 miles or every other motor oil change. Racecars may need more or less oil changes, this is dependent on vehicle usage as well. Some general enthusiast may not know that differential oil can sometimes reach temperatures of 350F/180C at which point most oils will breakdown. Once operating temperatures reach this degree, viscosity levels will lower therefore not providing sufficient lubrication for differential operation. Do not be fooled by others suggesting oil's should not be changed for 20,000 miles...like your engine, differential's produce friction and wear, provide your differential a clean and healthy operational environment.

Edited by wicked

petert

After being disappointed with Castrol Syntrax, Redline Shockproof and Mobil1 75W90 with the Tran-X, I decided to try a mineral oil plus Redline friction modifier. After some research I discovered the others were GL-5, which is not good on synchros. I ended up with Castrol VMX-M 75W85 (GL-4) and 2% Redline. I'm very pleased with the results. Silky smooth, slick changes and hopefully no more sludge.

Biggles

I run Total BV 75/80 in my BE with a Tranx diff. No issues. It gets changed every 3 or 4 rallies so 150-200 competition miles.

Ams

I use Fuchs Titan Sintofluid SAE 75/80 on a plated LSD for the sake of the aluminium synchros. It's on a road car though so change intervals will be less frequent since the box/LSD has an easier life. Personally If I was to go on track I would change it soon after.

Edited by Ams

jimmi

No issues here on gravel or tar events thus far .... ZF Plate Diff BE1 Box lubed with Millers CRX LS 75w90 NT

dobboy

I've bought Fuchs Titan Race 75/90 for my VTS box which i think is recommended by Quaife as the box has a Quaife diff.

A fellow GTI owner (AMS) mentioned it might not be ideal for the internal gubbins of these boxes.

(My thinking was a £40 box v's a £600 diff, i should go with what the diff manufacturer recommended.)

Anyone see any problem using 75/90? I don't particularly fancy a heavy gear change (or sending the oil back), would the friction modifier help in any way?

Tia

Anthony

A Quaife will be just fine with standard 75W80 oil from Pug.

It's plate diffs that have the conflicting requirements, although I always ran standard oil with mine with more regular changes.

welshpug

75 90 wont be nice in a be box, fine in the ml.