• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
FarmerPug

Electronic Distributors

FarmerPug

I was wondering has anyone had any experience or success with fitting an electronic distributor to an 8v engine, i seen Edd on wheeler dealers fit an electronic distributor to an old Jag XJC. Is such an upgrade even available for the XU engine.

​(< btw what is this, i constantly have to delete these when typing especially after a line space)

jackherer

Does the 305 have points then? Later XUs have electronic ignition from the factory so you can probably fit something from a 205 or 405 etc. What is the code for the engine in your car?

I have no idea what the weird characters are about, I've been seeing them for a while but it doesn't affect me in Firefox although I did get it when I used Safari recently. What browser are you using?

FarmerPug

As far as im aware (from wikipedia) its an XU5S, its a 1560cc engine with a carburettor. Do you know where they typically stamp or print the engine code information?

Behind the dizzy cap there is a rotor arm and then any internal gubbins is hidden from view by a plastic circle, i havent ventured that far to see whats in behind.

The engine in the car can bog down and splutter a bit when giving it a bit of throttle.

I normally use safari to browse the internet, i see chrome does not have the same problem.

jackherer

Peugeot don't tend to put the engine code on the engine, they put a more individualised build code, i.e. the 205 gti 1.6 has an XU5JA that might be a B6D or B6E (the rest are here - http://www.205gtidrivers.com/info/techspecs.html) so you might have a code on a plate somewhere but it probably wont start with XU. Are you sure it's 1560cc and not 1580?

Can you post some photos of the distributor and any wiring on it other than the ignition leads?

Goliath

​(< btw what is this, i constantly have to delete these when typing especially after a line space)

I get these characters appearing after any pictures I insert. I use google chrome. No obvious answer from a quick google.

FarmerPug

this is the distributor on the 305, both of them have the same ducillier distributor:

IMG_0010_zpsf0fa6cd3.jpg

IMG_0012_zps98d1b0e0.jpg

There isnt many wires going into it, but there is a vacuum line.

jackherer

There is nothing obvious there that would trigger an ignition amp but I would have expected at least a wire from some points instead. I don't really know about points but I suspect it does have electronic ignition, I just can't see how it is triggered. Are you sure there are no wires connected under it or anything?

Can you follow the negative wire from the coil to see where it goes?

welshpug

I have a 305 haynes manual, I'll have a look this evening if I remember, fond memories of these cars, mum has had two in the past, long before they were old bangers.

welshpug

why? 205 wouldn't need it.