• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
martinh

Lsd Question

martinh

Having never had or driven anything in anger with a limited slip diff I'm a bit unsure what to go for!

At some point over the winter i'll be putting a gti6 engine in my G reg 1.6 gti. I intend to use the 1.6 box as its a very low mileage unit (56k) and as the car will be purely be a toy I'm not against the idea of close ish ratios and low top end.

Will a quaife LSD be suitable for what I want? it's going to be a 90% road car with very very occasional trackdays.

Any input welcome!

Thanks

allanallen

1600 boxes aren't really that short, ideal for a gti6 road car IMO. Quaiffe will be fine, fit and forget. Plated will be faster and more fun ;)

kyepan

A quaife will be very suitable for what you want, if what you want is lots more grip out of the corners, and lots of grip on uneven surfaces (the average british road), I have one in my car and it does very well at all of the above. Once fitted it focused all the effort effectively, and made it a much better if slightly more involving car to drive.

Plus it's Fit and forget.

It will however also change the steering feel if PAS is not fitted. You'll feel the torque transferring and the steering load up a bit more against you if you lift whilst cornering. In fact, do anything with the throttle during any cornering and you'll feel it through the steering somewhat. I can't unfortunately give a technical explanation as to why the quaife does this, but i've had it for 5 years and it definitely does it. Worth mentioning it's quite a minor effect though for normal driving.

Cheers

J

martinh

Perfect, thanks for the replies! I will have power steering, Ive got a phase 1 vts rack to go on so hopefully wont be any issues there!

Is there a particular model number of the quaife diff that I need? Anything to look out for when fitting or is it fairly straight forward?

Thanks

allanallen

That's the one, second hand ones go for around £350, I spotted one on one of the Facebook peugeout pages the other day so that may be worth a search.

Quaifes will fit straight in the box with no mods as far as I'm aware.

martinh

Lovely Job, Thanks for the help/advice mate! If you happen to come across any for sale I would be interested if you don't mind posting a link!

Thanks

dobboy

Only other thing you need is a new pair of driveshaft seals, and probably best using a good oil.

Just be aware the lifetime warranty is non-transferable on Quaifes, but Quaife will tell you they rarely see returns and when they do it's usually cos theres been no oil in the box.

It would be the first thing i'd buy if i ever bought another 205.

kyepan

I replaced the diff bearings too. Enjoy! it will transform the car into quite a weapon.

Have you had a diff in a car before? And i'm actually really interested as to why you've decided on getting one. Many people overlook it because of cost, and the fact it doesn't add horsepower.

My personal opinion is that it makes the car much more focused, and effectively quick. That and a strut brace and it launches out of corners without a hint of wheelspin.

Edited by kyepan

dobboy

Oh, i forgot about the bearings.

Yeah Kyepan, i agree. You become more of a "pilot".

Henry 1.9GTi

not sure if its the same with the Quaife but may need to grind a little of the diff housing on both gearbox side and diff side. Just make sure it turns freely with the bolts pinched up before you seal it shut.

Enjoy!

martinh

I replaced the diff bearings too. Enjoy! it will transform the car into quite a weapon.

Have you had a diff in a car before? And i'm actually really interested as to why you've decided on getting one. Many people overlook it because of cost, and the fact it doesn't add horsepower.

My personal opinion is that it makes the car much more focused, and effectively quick. That and a strut brace and it launches out of corners without a hint of wheelspin.

Nope not had one before, Drove a dc2 integra type r which had one but only hammered in a straight line!

Reason for wanting one is I know what my 306 rallye is like for spinning the inside wheel when driven hard so think the 205 will probably be worse due to the weight etc! Horsepower isn't really a concern as I would much rather a car that handles, stops and is a good all rounder rather than one that flies in a straight line but doesn't do much else!

Suspension, diff and decent brakes are higher up my shopping list than horsepower!

Cost wise I know how hard it is to get power out of the gti6 lump without spending a fortune so figure £350/400 on a diff will certainly make the car quicker and hopefully more fun to drive!

• Like 1

dobboy

Get decent tyres too, so the diff can do its job.

kyepan

i really second this comment about tyres, i've ended up on michelin pe2, they really are superior to most of the mid level tyres, have worn very well.

dcc

put a set of pe2's from the group buy thing on my xsara daily (@88k miles) - xsara is now on 106k and the tyres are still showing 2.7mm tread on the fronts - rears I didnt bother with, they look like 5mm+

• Like 1

dcc

although thats nothing to do with a lsd, the 205 has eaten its front tyres very quickly really, about 6k or so miles iirc and they were dead/down to 2mm. Thats with a plated diff on a 'mild' setting. lots of thoroughly enjoyed corners though!

• Like 1

welshpug

thats from leadfoot not diff :P

martinh

Ive potentially found an LSD already in a 1.6 box but the seller is only going on what he was told is fitted!

Whats the easiest, most idiot proof way of determining whether a gearbox is fitted with a LSD? Or alternatively if anyone lives in Stonehouse, Gloucestershire and fancies looking for some beer tokens?!

Cheers

Martin

welshpug

take the diff cover off, 3 bolts securing the speedo drive and 8 holding the main cover.

Edited by welshpug

dcc

8 init

• Like 1

welshpug

yarp.

martinh

No sure fire way of telling without taking it apart then?! Its just I'm going to try and get matey to check and then hopefully put it on a pallet!

welshpug

not really, other than bolting it into a car and seeing if it does elevens instead of ones...

it is but a few minutes work, less if an impact gun is to hand.

Edited by welshpug

martinh

Ok mate, Will have to see if he fancies doing that! When its apart is it then obvious? As you can tell I'm completely new to diffs and from what I can gather the seller is about the same!!

unariciflocos

not sure if its the same with the Quaife but may need to grind a little of the diff housing on both gearbox side and diff side. Just make sure it turns freely with the bolts pinched up before you seal it shut.

Enjoy!

I've had to do some grinding on the sides when I installed my Quaife.