• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob_the_Sparky

Correct Sad Opening?

Rob_the_Sparky

Anyone know , or got a photo, of how open the SAD should be at cold?

My car is misbehaving at when warming up so took the SAD off to take a look. There is only a small opening so pondering if this is the problem and I need a replacement SAD. Just so you know I cleaned it a while ago and it still looks very clean in there. May just oil it and bung it back on if not obviously wrong, hence wanting to know what right looks like!

Ta

Rob

DanteICE

There should be a little nut on one side of the turning section, you can use this to adjust the opening.

Rob_the_Sparky

There should be a little nut on one side of the turning section, you can use this to adjust the opening.

Ah, that is good news as it is more or less undone at the moment, will have a fiddle.

Thanks

Rob

scbond

Did have a pic but can't find it now.

Undo the 8mm bolt. You only need to loosen it and it won't come out at all. Push it towards the outer edge a tiny amount and tighten it in the new position.

There isn't really a default, it's mainly trial and error. The hole is actually more of a 'W' shape rather than the slice of pie most refer to it. I'd say start with it so you see the start of the middle of the W and then fine tune by aiming for around 1,400 rpm from cold. Best to not bolt it back onto the thermostat and just tweak it over a few days.

My car was struggling to start and was rough for a little while until I adjusted the SAD. At first I had it set to around 1,700 rpm and it would start and run perfect but a little high so I compromised and lowered it to 1,400 rpm...takes a touch longer for the SAD to close but lower revs.