• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Ttv Flywheel Problems

JeffR

I have a problem with my new TTV flywheel.

The clutch retaining bolts holes seem a different pitch or diameter to the cap head bolts of a std flywheel. They are loose and sloppy in the holes on the TTV one. I fully expected to do a swap with no issues and being in Aust sending it back not really practical.

Short of taking it to a nut & bolt place to find out what thread they've tapped it to has anyone else had issues with them or found what bolts fit?

Plumbob

You have to use some M8 bolts to fix the clutch plate to the flywheel. Mine actually came with some cap heads (which accept an Allen key) in the box.

I also had to drill the standard clutch plate bolt holes out to 8mm as they were very slightly undersize for the M8's to go through.

Hope that helps!

JeffR

That might explain it. ServiceBox lists M7x21 for the cap head bolts. Would have been a lot easier had they kept to the same size bolts unless they thought M7's were inadequate. A note with the blurb sheet that new bolts were req'd would have been handy.

Looks like a trip to the bolt shop!

Thanks Plumbob

Miles

I thinks it's a problem at the factory, Most have the bolts but a few don't get them, A quick call to them sorts it but being in Australia will add to delays

dobboy

Jeff/Plumbob, i'm swithering as to getting one of these.

Could you let me know/decribe how the car feels with it in please?

TIA

Plumbob

I'd love to know myself! The engine is currently sat on the garage floor! :-)

dobboy

plum, have you went for the standard fast road type one?

when do you hope to have it in and running?

Plumbob

Yeah I got the usual one that people buy from Rich Walker. I also got the ally pulley for the other end.

I'd like to get it up and running asap but my work has me travelling all over the place. The car was at the paint shop for months and I spent most of that time on fairly local work and was home twiddling my thumbs... since the car has been back I've had a week in Great Yarmouth, a week in Hereford and tomorrow I'm going to the Isle of Man until the end of next week! should have been there today but the ferry has been cancelled... grrrrrrr

dobboy

yeah this work malarky is no use!

Plumbob

So the conclusion to all this is that Miles has the best job as he gets paid to do these things!!

JeffR

Jeff/Plumbob, i'm swithering as to getting one of these.

Could you let me know/decribe how the car feels with it in please?

TIA

I put mine back in the box and refitted my (slightly) lightened Mi16 flywheel. I'll keep it for the new engine now.

One of the guys on A/Frogs (Cam who's a member here as well) has fitted one to his 16V 205 & told me it makes a noticeable difference.

I imagine it will rev quicker & probably stall easier too!

Anthony

To be honest unless you're really clumsy with the clutch there's no issue with stalling.

I fitted a Jetronic 205 with a 3.6kg flywheel a few years back - even that was nicely behaved and didn't stall.

Lightened flywheels do make a noticeable difference in terms of response and acceleration in lower gears.

jackherer

I thinks it's a problem at the factory

TTV is just a little unit on an industrial estate down the road from me, I definitely wouldn't use the word 'factory' :lol:

Dizzee stuff

I have One fitted along with a alloy crank pulley no issues just a very slight eratic idle I guess this is down to a combination of the light flywheel and having cams fitted, I will have it remapped next year which should help a little.

Anthony

What cams? I've got a ~4kg flywheel on my GTi-6 with a Petert Stage 1 inlet (timed up as per his recommendations) and the idle is spot on.

Dizzee stuff

Don't get me wrong its not bad at all just slight but I am a little fussy, it has peter T inlet & exhaust cams timed correctly.

Edited by Dizzee stuff

welshpug

I have cams and my idle is fine, speed sensor and icv issues can cause fluctuations in idle speed.

Edited by welshpug

Dizzee stuff

I think I may have made it sound worse than it is, it's not that eratic.

camgti

Jeff,

I had to get a set of bolts for mine. Same issue.

Fitted and all good now. Its worth the hassle.

Cam

dobboy

few Q's/clarifications required from someone please regarding these flywheels?

1. So to fit a TTV flywheel, fit 8 new bolts (Pt No. 0573.40) to the crank (torque setting? and do these need washers so as not to chew the aluminuim?)

2. Drill out clutch cover holes to 8mm and buy/fit 6 M8 x 20mm cap head machine screws. (torque setting?)

3. What's pt no 6965.12 on SBox crank section? (the three little pins), does that come with or already machined onto the flywheel? (i can see them on Dizzee's project pics)

An additional same part is also shown on the section of Sbox, will that already be on my clutch cover?

And finally,

4. My new engine has nothing on Gbox end of the engine. Service box shows the flywheel and "starting ring" as two separate items, am i right in saying the two parts form the TTV flywheel?

TIA

dobboy

oh one more Q.

i'll be changing the timing belt on another engine going in my car, and by the looks of my bottom pulley it hasn't slipped (yet) as the timing holes all seem to line up.

On the engine thats in just now i temporarily fitted an 8v bottom pulley (as the pulley rubber had slipped) to get it timed up.

Looking as these lightened bottom pulley's (and the cost of them), what's the difference in weight between lightened and standard 16V?

Could the 8V pulley be used (although it has less belt grooves) if a suitable aux belt was fitted?

JeffR

You want TTV flywheel 0686 (GTi6)

3. 3x 6mm locating dowels. They're on the new flywheel.

4. Yes. It will have both the starter ring gear and the 60-2 induction pick up machined into it.

• Like 1

camgti

All correct. There is 1 part to the flywheel. Just the flywheel itself!

Its the same offset as a standard item so starter should fit fine.

Yes you need to drill out clutch cover and fit the m8 x 20 bolts. Yes use washers!

Torque setting

Clutch cover bolts 20nm

Flywheel bolts 50nm

Use loctite

Or look here also

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=131293

Cam

• Like 1

dobboy

You want TTV flywheel 0686 (GTi6)

3. 3x 6mm locating dowels. They're on the new flywheel.

4. Yes. It will have both the starter ring gear and the 60-2 induction pick up machined into it.

I've now got the 0686 flywheel

Just wondering what the "60-2 induction pick up machined into it" means?

60 teeth with 2 missing?

Anthony

Yes - the timing teeth next to the starter ring gear that the crank sensor "reads" and the ECU uses for engine speed/position.

The 60-2 means as you guessed - a 60 tooth wheel with 2 teeth missing to provide a reference point for the sensor.

This isn't present on original 205 Jetronic flywheels for example, as Jetronic uses the pulse from the ignition coil for timing.

• Like 1