• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Ttv Flywheel Problems

dobboy

oh one more Q.

i'll be changing the timing belt on another engine going in my car, and by the looks of my bottom pulley it hasn't slipped (yet) as the timing holes all seem to line up.

On the engine thats in just now i temporarily fitted an 8v bottom pulley (as the pulley rubber had slipped) to get it timed up.

Looking as these lightened bottom pulley's (and the cost of them), what's the difference in weight between lightened and standard 16V?

Could the 8V pulley be used (although it has less belt grooves) if a suitable aux belt was fitted?

I've not weighed the 8v or 16v pulley's yet or gave myself a KUTA yet to do my mods, but, anyone got any idea?

petert

I bought a smaller diameter, solid XU9J4 pulley from Miles. Workmanship is superb and it works a treat. I was having trouble with the std pulley over revving the alternator. It still charges at idle however. Even when adding post to AUS I thought it was excellent value.

dobboy

PeterT, (beware i'm scottish and renowned for being tight), but i really feel reluctant paying £80+ for a crank pulley.

I can see the money in the flywheels but rightly or wrongly i don't see the money/work in the pulley, (so i'll do without).

But, still wondering if there is any foreseable problem using an 8v bottom pulley (which i'm guessing is lighter than a standard 16v pulley).

petert

There's no problem using the 8V item if the balance is ok and the alternator lines up. I don't recall the pulley being that expensive. In any case, well worth it when you consider new or replacement price.

• Like 1

dobboy

Thanks PeterT.

If the 8V pulley is significantly lighter than my ok condition 16V pulley i think i'll give it a go.

The 16V aluminium ones range from £75+ (delivered) upwards from what i've seen.

As these are a "nice to have" (for me) i'm gonna do without and give the 8V one a go if it's lighter.

dobboy

1. So to fit a TTV flywheel, fit 8 new bolts (Pt No. 0573.40) to the crank

2. Drill out clutch cover holes to 8mm and buy/fit 6 M8 x 20mm cap head machine screws.

TIA

Can any of you guy's remember what the pitch is on the the threads for item 2?

Is it the finer type thread found on some of these type of cap screws for engineering type jobs (1mm)? or standar M8 (1.25mm)

TIA

dcc

Iirc its same as the 8v flywheels so what ever pitch they were

• Like 2

welshpug

yeah std 1.25 pitch thread, 6923 G6 will do the trick, its a widely used socket headed capscrew used on many many things INC XU7 and XUD clutch pressure plates.

dobboy

yeah just noticed that.

8V is M8 x 1.25

normal 16V is M7 x 1.00

So as the holes for them need drilled out to M8 it looks like DCC remembers correctly.

Thanks

dobboy

Got mines fitted yesterday no problem. They look really well made.

One thing, i compared an 8v crank pulley wheel with a 16v one. I didn't have scales to weigh them but the 8v one is significantly lighter and is same diameter, only difference is less ribs.

Has anyone ever tried using an 8v crank pulley instead of buying a lightened one? Obviously a suitable belt would have to be selected.

petert

I only run a 4PK belt on my race car. It's more than ample if it's only turning the alternator.

dobboy

Thats what i thougt Peter, but on closer inspection i dont think the 8v pulley can be used on gti6, as the 16v one has a bigger offset to push it out to line up with alternator. Pity

rallyeash

I only run a 4PK belt on my race car. It's more than ample if it's only turning the alternator.

Same.