• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joelpsmith

Help, Engine Won't Start - Got Spark And Fuel

joelpsmith

I was out in my car last weekend and everything was working fine, then I came to it on Tuesday morning and it refuses to start. I turns over fine but there is absolutely no sign of it firing.

I've got a spark on all four plugs and I've got compression (just under 10 bar) on all cylinders. Tonight I took the injectors out and they all seem to be working fine too. The only slight cause for concern is this injector on the left where the yellow bit on the end is stuck in the bore, but I can't imagine that would cause me too much of a problem.

IMAG0458.jpg

So any idea what the problem could be and what I should look at next. As I say, it was running fine a few days ago so I can't see how it could have broken itself so badly.

Edited by joelpsmith

hoodygoodwood

Do not let the yellow fuel injector cap and 'O' ring drop into the inlet manifold , they will get sucked into the engine . Very carefully pull them back out of the hole .

You have a spark but are you sure you have fuel , be careful checking - its a fire hazard obviously .

joelpsmith

OK, I have pulled the rubber O ring out, but the yellow cap is nowhere to be seen :blink: I'm assuming this is bad news.

Edited by joelpsmith

joelpsmith

Anyone know if this is likely to be retrievable by taking the inlet manifold off, or could it have gone past the inlet valve into the combustion chamber?

Kane

Depends if the valve is open, if you've been turning it over then there every chance it has dropped into the cylinder but easiest thing to do would be to take the inlet manifold off and have look. Shouldn't take more than half an hour to take off anyway.

unariciflocos

Your spark may not be strong enough or maybe the engine gets flooded with too much fuel.

I've been pondering getting one of those small USB endoscopes for just this kind of situations you're in now.

kyepan

once you've retrieved the object from the port

- does it do anything if you have more throttle applied, even a cough at some throttle opening, might suggest air metering or air leaks.

- Check the leads for resistance, they may be earthing out when actually plugged into their respective plugs.

- Make sure the dizzy hasn't moved

- Check the camshaft oil seal, to make sure it's not oiling up the dizzy, i had one full of oil, it didn't start.

- it might be worth inspecting the cam belt to see if it lines up with the timing holes, as a slipped belt would stop it doing it's thing.

welshpug

theres no cam oil seal on the dizzy end.

ALEX

Depends if the valve is open, if you've been turning it over then there every chance it has dropped into the cylinder but easiest thing to do would be to take the inlet manifold off and have look. Shouldn't take more than half an hour to take off anyway.

Taking the inlet manifold off would only let you see the back of the valve, you'd have more luck though the spark plug hole.

I've lost an injector cap the same way, I figured it must have spat out of the exhaust valve (or is now sat in my muffler) as I couldnt see it after wiggling bent straws and shining a torch down through the spark plug hole for about an hour.

Only damage i can think it could cause is if it gets trapped between a valve and port. my guess its been fired out clear.

one thing to check is the ECU coolant temp sensor, blue connector under the dizzy.

Had one short out on me once was supprised that it stopped the engine from starting, even had a very experianced mobile mechanic baffled and he gave up.