• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

Xu9J4 Tips On Replacing Camshaft Seals. (Both Sides)

yorkshirekowboy

Anybody know of any tips on replacing the camshaft seals both behind the timing belt pulleys, and the 2 above the gearbox. Looking at the manual a tool has to be used to place them in??? Looked on here but couldn't find anything.

Anthony

A suitable sized socket will be fine for tapping them in place - lack of access to the exhaust cambelt side seal will be your biggest headache if you're trying to do it in the car.

yorkshirekowboy

Wow sounds like fun. I thought that would be a mission. I'll see how bad the seals are as if it's only small I may leave them. I gather the cam tops need rtv sealant between head and them. Does the seal need some oil around it to help it slide into position?

petert

If you crack the cam cap screws ever so slightly, you'll find it a lot easier to remove and replace the seals. I'd prefer to completely remove each cam cap, clean it up and re-apply sealant.

kyepan

And if you do do the cambelt side, do them one at a time, as you'll need to un-pin the pulley to remove it for access to the seal.

You can, get an assistant to hold the camshaft in place using the hex section about halfway down it's length to allow you to prevent any slipped movements, clipped valves etc whilst it is unpinned and free to move to a position of rest.

If you're lucky with the pulleys pinned, and engine in gear, you may be able to undo the pulley retaining bolts on the belt alone, otherwise see above and whip the cam cover off to use the hex on the cam itself to gain enough leverage, again you want to be careful as it will release suddenly because of the locking compound used on the pulley retaining bolts.

Hope that helps, take your time if you do embark, and yes the rear one is a pain, removing the drivers side engine mount and jacking the engine up will help a bit, removing the fuel filter from it's bracket will also help, a bit.

Justin

If you crack the cam cap screws ever so slightly, you'll find it a lot easier to remove and replace the seals. I'd prefer to completely remove each cam cap, clean it up and re-apply sealant.

i nearly suggested this too, as it allows you to place the seal perfectly and then tighten back down, no tapping required, as usually i've changed the seals when making some kind of cam related change that involved removing the cams.

Edited by kyepan