• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty205xs

Front And Rear Bumper Removal

matty205xs

hi, iv been wanting to take off the front and rear bumpers to straighten them up as they are both slightly wonky, but I haven't got a clue on where to start. does anyone have any pics of what to do or what the car looks like when the bumpers are off and any step by step instructions on what to do.

thanks matt.

Anthony

Both are easily removed, but you'll likely find that all the fixings will be rusted solid and will snap when you try to undo them.

Front bumper has one 13mm nut each side (inside the arch) and two 13mm nuts up front, roughly in line with either side of the radiator.

Rear bumper has one 13mm nut each side (again, inside the arch), two 13mm nuts in the boot (one each corner) and two 13mm nuts roughly behind the numberplate - easier removing those than the philips head bolt above it.

If they've not been off before, there's a couple of support brackets for the front and rear valances too.

Tom Fenton

As above, plus replacement fixings in some cases hard to get hold of!

Alan77

here are a couple of shots from when i took my rear bumper off...

post-14615-0-55791900-1413393050_thumb.jpg

post-14615-0-73433200-1413393084_thumb.jpg

Definitely take it easy, don't chew up your bumper and it's worth getting a new bumper fixing kit for the re-fit.

farmer

A few rear bumper "counterleafs" are NLA now so be careful on that one to not snap the studs.

matty205xs

thanks for the replies they've been really helpful, Anthony was talking about supports brackets on the rear bumper, I can see them when the bumper is on so they are definitely there but the corners of the bumper are being held up by a screw on either side going into the wing to hold up the corners, i found this out by accidentally ripping one corner of my bumper of while reversing and that's when I found out it was only being held up by a small screw :mellow:. so what could have happened , would it be the original bumper fixing holes on the car have corroded and given in hence why the previous owner used screws to hold it up?

thanks matt.

Anthony

Picture paints a thousand words here I think

Sometimes people put a screw through the arch trim into the bumper when the plastic lugs have been snapped off, but I get the feeling that's not what you're talking about.

matty205xs

hi , my car doesn't have any arch trim as its just an xs, its the actual corner of the bumper on either side that is being help up by the screw going into the wing. if u can tell me how to upload pics as im having troubles doing it then ill try and get a pic of it.

thanks matt.

Alan77

Yeah the bumper hangers on the corners of the shell, right under the indicators can rot away.

matty205xs

oh right sorry, ye I have a feeling that's what has happened too, what would you recommend I do, take off the bumper and weld a new bit of metal over the corroded bit and drill a new hole for the bumper to fix too? also instead of buying new support brackets is it just as ok to make my own as they don't seem to be cheap to buy.

thanks matt.