• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PhilNW

Engine Dying

PhilNW

Problem that has happened a couple of times first time changed temp sensor and seemed to solve problem but now not so sure.

From cold engine OK , thrash it for a while get it stinking hot, park it up on drive ticking over no problem initially, fan kicks in no problem but after a few minutes engine dies and struggles to restart while hot

Change temp sensor on engine ecu no difference, change plugs as thought they might be fouling up - no difference, No air leaks I can find

Going to change a few component but not sure where to focus,

Any thoughts anyone?

PhilNW

Problem that has happened a couple of times first time changed temp sensor and seemed to solve problem but now not so sure.

From cold engine OK , thrash it for a while get it stinking hot, park it up on drive ticking over no problem initially, fan kicks in no problem but after a few minutes engine dies and struggles to restart while hot

Change temp sensor on engine ecu no difference, change plugs as thought they might be fouling up - no difference, No air leaks I can find

Going to change a few component but not sure where to focus,

Any thoughts anyone?

Changed a few things today, tried ecu, AFM, ign amp no change after a few minutes of ticking over the engine dies

Did notice that as the engine starts to die the fuel pump stars to whine and go faster? as though the fuel pressure is dropping off,

The car is for road rallying and the lines are inside and steel braided , keep thinking the problem is heat related.

Tom Fenton

I was just going to suggest a fuel problem. Maybe the pump is tired? Or the inlet to the pump blocked up with debris?

PhilNW

Hi Tom

Fine when first being thrashed, just fades away after being stood ticking over.

Think its fuel too I have had a colourtune plug connected and the spark seems to get weak so not sure if its pump or pressure regulator

Thought it might be heat getting to the fuel lines but not convinced of that either

hoodygoodwood

Fuel vaporisation ? When driving you have air moving over the engine and fuel pipes , once you stop you might get heat soak .When it next stalls try bleeding the fuel pipe close to the rail and see if you get vapour . Fire extinguisher to hand of course .

Is your exhaust heat shield fitted by the fuel tank , you could be cooking the fuel before it gets to the engine .

I have seen a heat resistant sleeving that can be put on fuel pipes - Demon Tweeks I think .

PhilNW

Fuel vaporisation ? When driving you have air moving over the engine and fuel pipes , once you stop you might get heat soak .When it next stalls try bleeding the fuel pipe close to the rail and see if you get vapour . Fire extinguisher to hand of course .

Is your exhaust heat shield fitted by the fuel tank , you could be cooking the fuel before it gets to the engine .

I have seen a heat resistant sleeving that can be put on fuel pipes - Demon Tweeks I think .

The fuel lines are inside and the tank has a guard and shield over it, thought it might be the exhaust close the the floor but probably get hotter under the bonnet.

Had the bonnet open while testing today but still happens, thought about getting some shielding under the bonnet

scbond

When you say you're thrashing the engine from cold, do you mean revving the nuts off of it?! That really is one way to kill an engine off over time.

As for the issue, as Tom said, it sounds as though there's an issue with the fuel pump...either a blockage or it's dying off itself.

PhilNW

If I need a replacement fuel pump , just been looking on ebay, a lot described as GTI , can someone tell me the differences or will any fit?

PhilNW

Had some more time this weekend and now think its the fuel pipes by the central tunnel vapourise the petrol.

Wrapped the fuel pipes under the bonnet with thermal fibreglass type wrap, no difference, had the fuel pump out could not see a lot wrong,.

Checked temp of tunnel with infrared thermometer and was showing 60 degrees on metal!! so guess it's a bit hotter under the carpets

Cant move exhaust very far away from tunnel and no heat shield fitted as standard

Ideas for best way to get round it? Move pipes and /or thermal wrap to fuel pipes. or some form of thermal insulation over tunnel

Tom Fenton

Personally I think you are barking up the wrong tree with the heat thing.

If I were you I would get a gauge on the high pressure side if the fuel rail and see what the pressure does when the engine dies off.

PhilNW

Think the pressure is dropping off as temperature goes up as pump noise starts to go up gradually. similar to the pump noise when you switch on and then stops when system is up to pressure

Should be relatively easy to temporarily move pipes away from the heat source to test the theory

Planning on getting a spare pump as a backup up anyway

kyepan

Personally I think you are barking up the wrong tree with the heat thing.

If I were you I would get a gauge on the high pressure side if the fuel rail and see what the pressure does when the engine dies off.

what he said, get a gauge for fifteen quid from ebay before you decide you've got a duff pump and spend 8 times that getting a new bosch unit.

Also does it do it with a full tank of petrol, as if the pump is getting hot, cause it's old, it will run cooler with lots of fuel around it.

Then start to look at ignition amplifiers and alike, things that get heat soaked etc.

PhilNW

Did not make any difference with amount of fuel in tank, swapped out AFM, ecu, amp one at a time after engine stops but no diff

Cant touch it again this week but plan on moving pipes from under carpets as next easy step.