• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Aydon

1.9 8V Turbo For Sale On Ebay Questions

Aydon

Hi Guys,

Quick introduction, im new, never owned a 205 gti and im not massively clued up on them.

I came from the Clio scene ive had 3 Clio's one being a phase 1 172 turbo which was the most fun ive ever had in a car by far. ive also owned a couple of S2000's nothing touched the 172 turbo.

Im really interested in buying a 205 gti however ideally im after a turbo, I am mechanically inclined and fixed a lot of things on my turbo clio however when it comes to pugs im not aware of common issues really.

Right! onto the point... (sorry)

I am really interested in this Clio on ebay;

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=390930557335

Incase the link doesn't work the ebay ID no is: 390930557335

I've rang the guy today and admittedly he doesn't know much about the car, he's a dealer and he has taken it in PX or something, now he says the guy claims the engine was forged, its a new hybrid turbo, in which he just said its a ''hybrid'' turbo he doesn't know if its a turbo technics garret or whatever, it is the 1.9 GTI block coupled with an Mi16 gearbox apparently?

The power he said, the guy claimed it was 280 bhp, now as im not massively clued up, is the 1.9 8v engine okay at 280 bhp and how does the gearbox cope with that sort of power? again, there is no RR graph proving power it's all a massive gamble, it could be a dog about to blow up or it could genuinely be a complete diamond of a car.

The only reason I gave it the time of day is because it does look like a cared for example, it seems clean the engine and turbo conversion look pretty clean and the blocks been painted orange so my theory was he might of had the block out when forging and painted too?

Would the car need an aftermarket ECU for this type of conversion and power? I'm guessing yes, but im pretty sure he wont know if it is or not, I will ask.

Anyway, thanks for reading and now over to you guys ! the guys in the know on 205 gti's.

Is this worth a gamble? or steer clear?

Aydon.

jackherer

That's not a 1.9, it's a 2.0 turbo engine out of a 406 etc.

dcc

thats £1500 over priced. running on standard ECU. doubt it is 280bhp.

oh and it is only 1bar. if that was 280bhp at 1 bar that would be hilarious!

Aydon

Thanks for the inputs guys,

Think I will give this one a miss and keep waiting.

Are there any companies that will do a cheap'ish engine transplant or turbo conversion in the south east, if I sourced a standard 205 gti?

Cheers

dcc

get yourself one already converted - plenty about for £1500-2000 ish and you wont be destroying a good car then :)

Alternatively get yourself a shell and start from scratch!

What is it you're after? rally, track day, fast road?

welshpug

Miles is in Hampshire, but conversions are not cheap

Aydon

Fast road spec really,

It might be lucky if it saw the occasional track day, but probably not as I have a stripped out clio 172 for track use.

It will also be a daily, but wont be driven extremely hard, just the odd throttle spat here and there my 172 turbo was a daily didn't bother taking it on track, I honestly don't think it would have lasted, it was in the range of 260 bhp with 250 lbft it used to eat synchro's though, gearbox's on the clio's are garbage.

Ive always loved 205 gti's , I guess it just want it to replicate the feeling of my old turbo clio, without sinking so much money this time round.

Ideally, id like a 205 with around 230-240hp with similar torque to match? I bet that is insane in these little hatches, or am I asking too much?

Thanks for the responses guys, Is Miles the guys name btw or the company name? i'll have to google and check it out.

Edited by Aydon

mrfirepro

Aydon,

There's a guy on here with the user name of Maxi, he's selling a very well sorted car that may be right up your street,

And he's not too far from you, would be nice to have another local 205 fan

see this thread http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=155974&hl=

Edited by mrfirepro

welshpug

he trades by pugracing and goes on here by Miles, 230/230 is just about possible on an 8v turbo with aftermarket management afaik.

TheReaperWaits

Used to see this car quite often when going through Gosport. Looks awful in the flesh. Definitely look elsewhere. If you go view a car I'm sure someone local on here could look and tell you if its worth a punt.

Aydon

Thanks so much for the kind responses guys!

Mrfirepro - that 205 looks absolutely amazing, and you're right it's exactly what I want!! However a bit too pricey for me unfortunately! Gutted! Ideally I would love a turbo though, I've no doubt in my mind that 205 is horrifically fast but just miss the monstrous amounts of torque turbo' scan deliver!

Haven't got so much money to sink into cars as I used to.. Hate growing up lol :( really my max budget would be around £4000

Welshpug - thanks! I'll look him up.

Thereaperwaits - thanks very much mate, good feedback I think I will definatly give this one a miss. I'll keep my beady eye out for more.

I'm so glad I posted this now, great friendly forum!

Thanks guys!

Edited by Aydon

Miles

2.0 turbo's as said many a time are a complete waste of money on the std exhaust manifold, it's like driving a HDI, Find a original TT for example and it's a night and day difference and I have done them all, I do have a TT at work which will come up for sale but it's going to be rebuilt before so it will not be a cheap car as it's only got around 50k on it from new.

I think I've seen it around too, but going by the pic's it's not a nice conversion with wires cabled tied everywhere

Aydon

Hi miles ,

Thanks a lot for posting.

I've read through a few threads about the 8v conversion seems a lot of people are achieving in the 200 bhp range, with similar torque that arrives at around 3k rpm sounds hella fun to me!

When you say exhaust manifold are you referring to the headers? If so is there not any aftermarket options? In what way are they similar to Diesel engines? It would be great to get some insight off you, you seem very knowledgable about these pugs.

Would it also be possible for you to pm me some prices for possible conversions if I had a standard gti?

Thanks very much.

Aydon

Just following on from that, could I not source an aftermarket header later on after doing the 8v conversion? Does it need aftermarket management or is it a simple swap plug and play mod type thing?

Cheers!

Aydon

Bit of a long shot but hey,

Is there anyone in the south east area that could possibly take me out in there 8v turbo or gti6 converted 205's?

Haha, thanks!!

ANDYGON

buy mine!

Miles

The power delivery is all over in a flash, the engine was a stop gap for the 605, 406 before the 16v units came out, Small turbo for lazy torque not power, If you drive them in 5th gear then it's OK otherwise a huge disappointment I think anyway, Have a search on the post that ask's for peoples options on the best engine, Long read but will give you some idea's, Not a fan of the 6 engine either in a 205 that is

Reebmit

I agree 100% with Miles. One of my pugs had a 2.0 turbo and it was awful, not very powerful and very heavy. I have taken that out and am in the process of turbo charging the original ally 8v 1.9. Keeps the car well balanced weight wise like the original with a nice hike in power :)

wicked

The problem is indeed that it has tiny turbo and lazy cam.

Therefore it has massive torque at low revs, but runs pretty quick out of steam; like a diesel; 4500 rpm and it will change into a hair dryer...

If you run it with a standard 1.9 gearbox, like most people do, it will be a disappointment, because it's too short in the higher gears (3,4,5).

If you rev it and change gears, it will not drop enough in rpm, so you don't make use of the complete power band.

In standard form, with standard ecu, it will not make 200bhp on realistic rolling road (at DP engineering, the highest score for a standard (rebuild) engine, was 190bhp. Most do ~180 bhp.

I run mine with a DKZ cam, TT maniford, TD04 turbo, VEMS ecu and 306 1.9TD gearbox with plate diff. It's way different than the original tct; easily pulls from 2500 - 5500 rpm and feels like GTI. Really easy drive (always instant boost). Price tag is also different than a standard tct lump...

The good thing about the engine is, that it can handle a lot of abuse....

Aydon

Thanks for the reply's guys, miles, I understand what you mean now, I've done a fair bit of diving through a lot of threads past couple of days. The dyno graphs seems like it makes good power up until 5k rpm then drops of the face of the earth.

What would you say the max mph is in 5th gear till 5k rpm when it runs out of puff?

If it's a car that rapidly pulls to 90-100mph then does off I can still see the fun factor in that, like i said the cars gunna be a bit of country road fun type of car , not a track car or drag car anyways.

Is it worth it as a slow project? Because I would probably plan to go aftermarket ecu after a while anyway, then maybe look to change manifold and turbo? It still all stems from the 2.0 8v turbo engine right?

ANDYGONE - can't find your for sale thread.

Wicked - thanks for your post mate, and to be honest that's the direction I would take anyway. If I bought one.

Aydon

Could you also modify the standard turbo to give it a bit more puff? Adding t28 housing etc?

Cheers