• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Telf

1St Time Cam Belt Change

Telf

Hi all

I changed my first cam belt today- all seems to have gone ok- did the belt, tensioner and water pump. However reading the instructions in the belt kit it tells me to recheck the tension after an initial run in.

Is this really required? I think I tensioned the belt properly- manually cranked it until the tensioner moved (pretty much as far as it could) then tightened the 2 nuts at the spring and locked the 90 degree dowel thing. I've taken it for a run up and down the motorway- all seems ok.

so do I need to do anything else?

Thanks

Paul

dcc

I recently did a belt change, i will not be rechecking the tension - maybe you should, but i have yet to have an issue. Engine is on its 4th belt in the past 12months.

DanteICE

Why is this the 4th belt in 12 months?

dcc

Fresh belt when engine went in, suspected knock on dyno full engine rebuild new belt, new belt had damage so was swapped for another, then the cam seal gave way and covered belt in oil, so another new belt :)

Telf

Is there any reason why you think I should maybe check mine?

I think I fitted it correctly but as I haven't done it before I'm wondering if I did it correctly ( especially the tensioning bit!)

welshpug

I don't quite understand what you mean by manually cranked it? the spring does the tensioning then all you do it lock it off.

Telf

I mean having attached the belt I turned the engine over using the bottom pulley, watched the belt rotate and when the tensioner moved in as far as possible I tightened all the nuts up- does that make any more sense

Sorry Im probably using the wrong terminology!

Edited by Telf

2-Pugs

I've lost count of the number of cambelts I have changed in 205GTIs, I have never rechecked their tension afterwards, and I have never had a problem. So I'd say you'll be fine to leave it :)