• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aarontrophy

What The Most Bhp Known For A Be3 Gearbox

aarontrophy

Thinking out the box a bit but what bhp will a be3 1.9 box take? Understanding that it will cost a bit to build

Cheers guys

Hoping 600 bhp but......

welshpug

its torque that kills them not BHP, they were originally rated for low 200's LBFT IIRC.

Edited by welshpug

crossflow

Its the casings that become the weak points. wouldnt go much more than 210 lbft even with a dogbox

allanallen

My supercharged car (1900 box) has run 200lb happily for 5 years now but the power delivery is gentle on that and I drive it with a bit of sympathy.

A mate is running nearly 300lb through his 1600 box now, the power delivery is vicious and he has little mechanical sympathy, no issues so far.

Edited by allanallen

Tom Fenton

Another one running over 200ftlb 1600 turbo, and the power delivery isn't gentle and in many cases neither is the driver.

Al interested to see how Drew gets on with his lasting.

In my mind you are torque limited most of the time by the tyres anyhow!

allanallen

Correct, once he's got an LSD in it may well be a different story! The kid bloody murders it every where! :D

And yes, you're a rough bastard as well!!! :P

dcc

Wasn't there a guy on here with the twin turbo supercharged mi which was circa 900bhp on a be3?

allanallen

Ha ha ha ha ha

I think in it's 1000000bhp incarnation it had a Sherpa box

• Like 2

RossD

BE4 (And thus probably the BE3) is rated to 250NM by Peugeot Citroen (I'll dig out the link / document when i can find it). There's obviously a bit of a margin there though. 250NM is about 185 lb/ft.

Thats not to say if you put 251NM through it its suddenly going to fail, but i expect reliability and longevity are going to be compromised the more torque you have.

JeffR

Here you go Ross-

PSAgearboxpowerlimits_zpscdcfd45a.jpg

Allan, I'm guessing yours is a low boost? Sounds like your mate has the Lynx h/b kit. About 400hp & 280ft/lbs torque.

Does it make a difference which gearbox casings you use? I've got S16 ones which have more ventilation holes around the bellhousing. Dunno if they're any stronger internally though.

• Like 1

allanallen

Here you go Ross-

Allan, I'm guessing yours is a low boost? Sounds like your mate has the Lynx h/b kit. About 400hp & 280ft/lbs torque.

Does it make a difference which gearbox casings you use? I've got S16 ones which have more ventilation holes around the bellhousing. Dunno if they're any stronger internally though.

No! Wash your mouth out young man! Mine is a mi16 with an eaton m45 making around 7.5psi, my mates is a gti6 with a t28 making just over 10psi.

The lynx kits are a lot kinder on boxes due to the way the power is produced, the torque comes in very gradually and rises very linear with the revs.

Edited by allanallen

adman

slightly of topic i know but we are hoping to use an ml5t box on a t16 engine, but does anyone know of a plated diff available for these?

Miles

Not at the moment, 3J where thinking about it but the numbers are too low at the moment

adman

I think Gripper are in talks about developing 1 also if they can get enough interest.

Would rather not take this route but has anyone ever fitted a gearbox from an alternate manufacturer that can handle the torque involved?

Anthony

For what it's worth, the 306 diesel boys are routinely putting 250lbft+ (and some in excess of 300lbft) through BE boxes and they don't seem to be suffering gearbox failures, despite in a few cases a distinct lack of mechanical sympathy.

Some of those cars have done significant mileage since being tuned suggesting no particular longevity issues either under normal road use.

adman

yeah but this is mainly going to be a track toy, and i may be wrong but i can't imagine a BE liking the torque and rpm involved. Plus the gearing from the diesel box will be miles out from what we want.

Edited by adman

Tom Fenton

That torque level is at a lot lower engine speed and hence power level though, so in terms of energy there is less work being done by the gears despite the torque being similar.

Allan and I were discussing this, it seems the supercharged 306 boys have problems with 2nd gear?

Anthony

Allan and I were discussing this, it seems the supercharged 306 boys have problems with 2nd gear?

That on the 5 or 6 speed 'boxes Tom? The 6-speed units use finer pitch gears from what I understand and it's far from unheard of for them to strip cogs even on a standard car (typically 3rd AFAIK) so wouldn't be much of a surprise that they would fail with a whole chunk more power/torque going through them.

welshpug

3rd and 4th is the typical supercharged fail in the 6 speed unit, I've heard of it in a naturally aspirated 2.0 rally car running a 5 speed box with the gti6 3/4 cluster in it to totally munch 3rd, plate diff and rally cut slicks!

allanallen

Yeah it's the gti6 3rd/4th doofer that Ash is/was having reproduced but straight cut and dog engagement. Possibly a recipe for disaster but we shall see!

Tom Fenton

I think that 3rd and 4th in the GTI6 box are the same as the 5 speed boxes as the main casing is the same. I think it must be 5th that is smaller as it and 6th have to fit in the end casing, which is the bit that differs in the 6speed boxes.

welshpug

the thing that differs is the depth of the teeth on the 3/4 cluster in the 6 speed box, most have a lower tooth count and taller teeth.

you have to remember that the box is 55mm longer, so I don't think 5th and 6th are narrower at all.

Miles

The later box's have finer teeth for refinement as there's less gear clonking for a teccy term, 3 & 4 are bad as are 5 and 6, 1 and 2 are OK thou and use the deeper cut gears.

God knows why some people use the GTi6 3 and 4 in there rally box's, yes it's CR but reliable as a chocolate teapot.

The same goes for the larger input shaft bearings, Yes good in one way but the case's break between the bearing's then, some used metal plates to try and hold them together but this never worked.

The Dog gears are in full production, I have made up a box for a customer with these in there, The idea of Dog and Syncro is odd to say the least, but if it works all well and good

allanallen

Haha, yeah it'll be odd when you get muddled and try and do a clutchless 1st to 2nd at 7.5k :P

adman

Even if the gears they had made up are any good, It will only move the weakness to the next point which will be the casings.

Hence why i'm looking at fitting the ML5T box.

Think i may need to try and start a group buy for a plated diff to at least see if its fees-able.