• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
analog_addict

205 Not Always Starting. Flooding? Solenoid Not Engaging? New Starter

analog_addict

Hello,

I have a 205 CJ with a 1.4 Citroen AX engine fitted (That's what the previous owner told me). The car would sometimes not start after a long journey. For example I would drive a long distance, stop to get food and the car wouldn't start. It wouldn't turn over.

I assumed my carb was running rich and was flooding due to low revs. After waiting around 30mins the car would start.

Recently this problem has been happening more often and on short journeys. My friends have said that it's not flooding but the solenoid isn't engaging. They have suggested buying a new starter motor will fix the problem.

When turning the key, it doesn't turn over but a faint whirring sound can be heard. My friends tried tapping the solenoid but that didn't work so they have said a new starter motor is needed.

Any advice? Is there an easy way to determine my exact model of engine so I can get the right starter motor?

Thanks

selfyyy

Definitely sounds like starter motor and as long as its turning it has power so should engage flywheel......

analog_addict

Yep. Had to bump start it the past 2 days. It works nearly all the time but sometimes it just won't turn over and refuses to do so for a long period until it randomly starts again.

New starter motor it is.

N3VRAM

Hello,

I have a 205 CJ with a 1.4 Citroen AX engine fitted (That's what the previous owner told me). The car would sometimes not start after a long journey. For example I would drive a long distance, stop to get food and the car wouldn't start. It wouldn't turn over.

I assumed my carb was running rich and was flooding due to low revs. After waiting around 30mins the car would start.

Recently this problem has been happening more often and on short journeys. My friends have said that it's not flooding but the solenoid isn't engaging. They have suggested buying a new starter motor will fix the problem.

When turning the key, it doesn't turn over but a faint whirring sound can be heard. My friends tried tapping the solenoid but that didn't work so they have said a new starter motor is needed.

Any advice? Is there an easy way to determine my exact model of engine so I can get the right starter motor?

Thanks

Had exactly this problem when my started motor needed replacing!

• Like 1

analog_addict

Had exactly this problem when my started motor needed replacing!

I still haven't replaced mine and the problem is getting worse.

I don't have much money at the moment and I've read about the RTX motors being junk. There are some British made refurbs on Ebay for around £50.

I'll need to take it to a garage to get replaced. Should be just an hours labour if I supply the part?

johnnyboy666

Are you 100% sure that the battery is in good condition? I have in the past changed a starter motor only to find out it was the battery at fault. And yes, I did feel like a tit afterwards.

On another tu3s engine car I had, which also suffered this problem, I used to carry a 2m length of thick wire with me and (with the key on second click) open the bonnet and touch the wire from the positive on the battery, to the spade connector on the starter (have to pop the wire off it first) and that would give it enough oomph to start the engine. Got a few funny looks!

Should be more like 15 mins to change a starter on these, I'd suggest having a go yourself, its literally a few bolts, just a bit fiddly

N3VRAM

I still haven't replaced mine and the problem is getting worse.

I don't have much money at the moment and I've read about the RTX motors being junk. There are some British made refurbs on Ebay for around £50.

I'll need to take it to a garage to get replaced. Should be just an hours labour if I supply the part?

If you don't have much money take your one off and take it to unipart, i'm pretty sure they will knock half the price off a remanufacfutred one if you trade your old one in..

analog_addict

I never updated this thread. I bought a re-manufactured starter off Ebay and had it fitted by my local garage. No issues since!