• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
forbeslongden

Engine Idle Issues 1.1 Petrol 205

forbeslongden

hey guys.

need some advice (again!)

My little 1.1 205 is having a few issues when it comes to idle. It's a bit rough to begin with and gives me a couple of stalls at junctions; it seems that the engine is dropping below an ideal idle for the engine to cope with and starts shuddering the engine until the pedal is blipped.

The car has only done 77,000 miles so I'd expect it to be far stronger than it is.... Any advice please?

Plumbob

Could be any number of things really. Has it been serviced recently? Maybe look at the air filter, spark plugs, distributor cap/rotor arm (if it's got one), air leaks on any breather hoses it may have. All the basics really. Hope that's some use!

forbeslongden

I'd assume the last owner did it as the head gasket, water pump cambelt etc are all new, and I flushed all the coolant myself but considering that was a horrible brown colour and smelt like oil/fuel, I guess nothing else was done.

Good shout on the plugs and dizzy though... Could very well be those at fault and cheap to replace.

Plumbob

Yeah my thoughts entirely. Sounds like a simple engine and stuff like the air/fuel filter, plugs etc aren't expensive. It would certainly be good to ensure the basics are right before you start investigations into more sinister and expensive causes.

Hope that head gasket was done well! :-)

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Hope that head gasket was done well! :-)

Me too! There's a little mayo around the oil cap which is a little worrying but could be remains of a previous problem...

DamirGTI

Does it have carburettor or monopoint injection ?

If it's monopoint injection , could be sticky gummed up throttle (throttle butterfly) so id try first cleaning it up with an toothbrush and some carb cleaner , clean it thoroughly free from carbon deposits .. if that doesn't help then could be idle stepper motor (kinda common problem on these) or TP sensor (from the insides if the sensor potentiometer track is worn/wiped off it can also cause idle issues)

If it's model with an carb , could be something with carb needing adjustment or repair/cleaning ..

But yes , check the basic stuff as said also - air/vacuum leaks , dizzy cap , rotor etc.

Head gasket is known problem on TU's , it's doesn't go as often round the cylinders/gasket fire rings though , from my experience HG on them fails mainly around the corner (timing belt side , just upwards from the alternator position) around main oil feed passage , theres an "Vitone" elastomer element pressed in the head gasket which seals this oil feed passage - this "Vitone" element cracks/degrades and thus you'll have either internal oil-coolant mixing issue or external oil leak on the corner round the gasket base .. usually leaking down the corner onto the alternator in early stage of failure ..

D

Edited by DamirGTI

forbeslongden

Okay, from what I gather, the engine is a carb engine. I changed the plugs for it but it's still pretty rough until it's warmed, often I have to blip the accelerator to stop the engine getting so low on revs that it's starts to shudder the engine mounts and eventually cut out.

Once it warms, you wouldn't think there was an issue, when it gets low revs when warm, it will increase the engine speed slightly until it feels it's alright again. I've attached some photos since it looks like stuff is either unplugged or not there, around the air outlet in particular.

Any of you guys familiar with this type of engine?

post-23672-0-31965400-1410807446_thumb.jpg

post-23672-0-93707400-1410807506_thumb.jpg

Plumbob

That's a single point injection engine isn't it? One thing I can see is that there should probably be a bit of tin on the exhaust manifold which has an outlet for some ducting to go to that spare connection approx 2" diameter on the inlet pipe. It looks very much like the hot air feed for cold starting is all missing.

Bit hard to explain but I think that the part just next to the HT leads in the top photo should be spun round so it's pointing towards the dipstick, then with the exhaust sheild in place it would have some foil hose to connect the two.

It's probably the cause of your problems to be honest! Plenty of cars with that engine in a scrappy, could be a nice little fix.

Plumbob

Found this on t'internet which someone has even circled the bit I'm on about! Very handy!

30FE9AB8-CD61-4B9F-936E-781D890FF691_zps

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Brilliant ! Thanks so much for your help with this :D

Just to clarify, I'm looking in the scrappers from mid-90's era Peugeot and Citroen 1.1 engines that should have this attached ?

forbeslongden

Here's another look at the engine bay, it's all certainly not there!

post-23672-0-14923100-1410856459_thumb.jpg

Plumbob

Yeah I'd say so, Saxo, 106, 205 will all be similar or the same. You can even see the two tapped holes in the top of your exhaust manifold where the shield bolts to. Just measure the distance between the two holes and go hunting in a scrapyard. Can't imagine they'll charge you much for a heat sheild and a bit of pipe!

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Thanks for all your help! I'll report my findings when I get hold of the bits :D

Plumbob

I'm not sure it will sort ALL of your running problems but it's got to help. You should whip out the air filter whilst you're at it and make sure it's not filthy. Good luck at the scrapyard.

forbeslongden

Okay so, to update on this. Apparently the throttle body needs to be replaced as something on it is causing the choppy idle, does this sound about right?

Dukey

Just having similiar issues on my 1.4 so I thought I'd chirp in. The exhaust header sheild piping to the intake was missing on mine as well, now having fixed it, it seems to run a bit better. Seems to have helped but it's still not exactly smooth. Also it seems I'm having that exact problem with the headgasket, leaking at the corner. Now it's a bit warmer maybe it's time to replace it.

forbeslongden

Were you getting stalling and throttle hesitation? I found that this one was holding back when pulling away and then suddenly bursting into life once the air meter had caught up.... Plus, it's using more petrol than my GTi haha. I'm fixing it and selling it -_-

welshpug

being 96 it should hvae a lambda I believe, try disconnecting that, also find and test the ecu coolant temperature sender.

• Like 1

forbeslongden

I'll never understand how Peugeot made such a simple diesel engine but I've always had nothing but Gremlins with the petrol variants, shame really - tidy shell but really horrid engine.