• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobbafett

Squealing Noise.

Bobbafett

Forgive me because I am a complete amateur but I try my best. Yesterday I was travelling down the dual carriageway and heard a small noise like something falling off, then about 30 seconds later a massive squeal came from the engine for about a minute then stopped. I don't know if the falling off noise was related.

The squeal now happens every time I start the car for about 30 seconds. Here is a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7iwnQzXMbU

It seems to be coming from the alternator? What are the other two wheels this belt is attached to? I spotted this on the lower one closest to engine rear, could this have something to do with it?

6QLaPoI.jpg?1​

Has a chunk missing but not sure how this would make it intermittently squeal.

I did put new droplinks on earlier in the day trying to sort out another issue, but not sure if this is just coincidence.

Any advice gratefully received!

Edited by Bobbafett

farmer

Got a slack belt mate

Just needs tightened up.

Check the belt condition as well for wear and tear.

iPlod999

I am an amateur too.

The other wheel I think is if the car has air con fitted.

As Farmer the belt needs tightening up. The adjuster is the nut and bolt right on the front of the alternator you can see.

Bobbafett

Thanks for the swift replies! The belt looks absolutely fine to my eye, but is it worth replacing it just in case? Do I need to worry about the small chunk missing from one of the wheels?

The car doesn't have air-con but it does have PS so guess power steering pump?

DamirGTI

Replace the belt as it's pretty inexpensive and easy to replace .. could just tension it up but aside from stretching belt sliding surface tends to glaze up and that makes some squealing no matter being tight as supposed to or not ..

As for the missing bits of metal ribs from the wheels , don't worry it'll be fine .. it's a common issue though it wont do any damage as log as it's not big chunk that's cracked off the wheel which could/would damage the belt .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Bobbafett

Nice one. There are a couple of belts on GSF, guessing mine is the longest one with 3 wheels. Was thinking of changing the alternator too anyway as i've been having some starting problems, so will likely change belt+alternator at the same time. She's off the road for a while now for some serious work including a respray so now's the time.

Thanks for help !

Bobbafett

Well, found the culprit. Seems the 'breaking off' noise did have something to do with it. The bolt holding the belt tension arm on at the bottom has sheared. Bloody awkward place, any ideas on getting the bit of bolt out? No way of getting a drill in there of any kind.

WeIYh8M.jpg​

farmer

Might have to remove from the car or source another one.

Slo

Are you sure its sheared? Looks like its dropped out completely to me. One either side at the top and one on one side at the bottom.

You could actually grind a slot in the "finned" area and put a nut in there for a longer bolt to grab, should hold it square.

Edited by Slo

Bobbafett

Yeah it's sheared off about 2mm into the hole, with about 4mm sticking out where you can't see.

I've got the alternator out and the wheel off the PAS pump but still nowhere near enough access to get in. They've got brand new pas pumps on ebay for about £100 so if all else fails I can just buy a new pump and stick it in there. Was planning on taking it off the road for a while anyway for a variety of work so this has just accelerated it really.

The grinder idea sounds like it could be worth a try, would still be very hard to get the old bolt part out though because there's just nothing to get onto.

Slo

Could you drill it out with a long drill bit? Im guess that the hole is quite close to the casting that wont allow a drill chuck to get near it?

Bobbafett

I've taken the wheel off the PAS pump which gives better access but still nowhere near enough to get even my smallest angle drill adapter in there. I did have an idea about drilling sideways into the exposed bit of bolt with a very small bit and then using a lever in the hole to twist the bolt out. Will try that tomorrow!

Last resort is take the pump out to do it but if i'm going to go that far I might as well replace for new while i'm there.