• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vader

No Engine Oil Pressure - S16 Crankshaft Spacer

vader

hello

i've bought a car last year with multiple problems like overheating, water inside the engine oil and no engine oil pressure... somehow i manage to solved the 1st 2 problems...but the last problem puzzled me...no engine oil pressure...(only 2 Bar on the gauge). for the last problem, i've changed an oil pump, eng. oil water cooler & a pressure switch...but to no avail..

i figured out maybe the engine has gone an overhaul before..that the crankshaft spacer might have been wrongly placed which make the oil pump gear to slip hence giving so little pressure.

i would be appreciate if someone out the can point out to me the correct position of the spacer on the crankshaft...outside the oil seal plate or inside??

please advise....

thanks

jackherer

Are you using a proper oil pressure gauge or relying on the Peugeot dashboard gauge?

vader

hi Jack,

i'm relying the dash gauge...once i thought the gauge was broken as when i changed the oil pump..so i testdrove the car like mad...it last for half a mile b4 the conrod bearing give way and limping back home..then i know the dash gauge is correct.

FYI the pressure did went to 4 bar upon starting... for the first 1 minute or so.. then gradually come down to 2 bar (had the feeling like the oil pump gear is slipping)

at the moment, the spacer is on the outer side of the oil seal plate..

thanks for replying...

cheers

jackherer

You need to use a proper mechanical oil pressure gauge, the factory one is unreliable.

76716d1264519490-diagnosing-low-oil-pres

vader

thanks Jack,

i'll try to find one at the workshop.

but back to the crankshaft spacer..is it on the outer or inner side of the oil seal plate...looking at the drawings, looks like its on the inner side of the plate...but mine is on the outer side at the moment...

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/28434750@N02/14922208905/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

cheers

JeffR

Vader,

The crank spacer (4) sits outside the engine facing the oil pump drive sprocket. The oil seal (7) seals on the spacer.

Edited by JeffR

vader

hi Jeff,

thanks...thats make me more puzzled....anything else that i should check... :unsure:

cheers

JeffR

Not sure if the S16 has a woodruff key on the oil pump sprocket, but going by the diagram it looks the same as the XU9 where it relies on the central bolt in the end of the crank to stop the sprocket from turning. Tighten that bolt to 110Nm (81ft lbs). You should be able to jam a screwdriver into the flywheel back of engine to prevent it from turning.

vader

No..it doesnt have a key on the oil pump sprocket, just like the XU9...but its a bit different on the spacer of XU9

ok...i'll do that

cheers

unariciflocos

I can't imagine the spacer affecting oil pressure in any way. If it were wrongly installed the pinion would scrape on the block and it would get worse and worse quite fast.

How do the bearings look? They should be the biggest factor influencing oil pressure. Shouldn't be that expensive to replace either. (30 quid a set?) Water in the oil must have done some damage inside the engine, H2O does not lubricate very well.

My oil pressure is a rock solid 6 bar at anything over 3k rpm (using the dash indicator) and I don't dare rev it when it's cold because it goes over 6.

vader

hi unariciflocos,

in my opinion, if the spacer wrongly fitted(what i'm afraid of), it wont press the oil pump sprocket resulting it slipping on the crankshaft and giving low pressure engine oil (just my theory). i'm curious because the diagram shows the spacer is fitted inside the oil seal plate. :unsure:

i've just changed the conrod bearings due to oil starvation and after replacing the oil pump, manage to drive slowly but i can hear the clacking sound of the tappets due to lack of oil going up.

cheers

welshpug

if the crank pulley bolt is done up it will be turning the pump.

Unfortunately it seems aftermarket oil pumps for xu engines are rather hit and miss, erring on the miss side, typically best using an original equipment pump, even an used unit as they tend to last a very long time.

worth replacing the pressure relief spring and piston.

vader

oh..btw i replaced it with a good used unit..

is there any chance that theres a leak between the pump and the oil passage to the block

welshpug

unlikely if the three bolts are in and tight.

vader

ok thanks..i'll open up the sump and the plate again tomo to see other possibilities

cheers

calvinhorse

I had a similar problem when I forgot to put the camshaft spray bars back in

• Like 1

vader

thanks Calvin..

i'll check on that too...good tips

cheers