• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MarkKJFLtd

Retirement Refresh - 1.9 Gti

MarkKJFLtd

Morning All,

I'm coming to the end of a process of refreshing my 205 GTi for it's retirement, so thought I'd indulge in some pictures of the little tinker!

After nearly 5-years of daily driver duties, the car was still in very good condition, getting considerably more admiring glances than anything else in my fleet. I just felt it had earned a pampering for it's service, so it was time for a mid-life update.

I only ever meant to "just have a look" when it appeared for sale about 5 years ago now.... But decided to buy it as soon as I saw it. It was pressed into daily service to keep my Elise away from the worst of the weather. Then I moved to work in Sweden, and took the "sensible" car with me. Proven reliable down to -30deg for weeks on end.

This is the car when still in daily use in Sweden:

0806e45e.jpg

Had a great time out there, and it went back to it's rally roots visiting Rally Sweden.
Then, back in England, a sensible 3rd car arrived, so work began. Unfortunately due to time, I've paid for most of it to be done rather than doing the work myself which is what I'd wanted to do, but that's just the way it goes. Generally all of the work has been completed by Matt and the team at Pug1Off.

So, first of all, a new rear beam was sourced and fitted:

Great work and quality from Andy on here (http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showuser=11467)

image.jpeg

image_%281%29.jpeg

Then it had an engine top-end refresh and front suspension rebuilt by Pug1Off in Brackley (good guys!). No pictures of this stage unfortunately.

Finally last week it's been in and had some paintwork corrected (again, through Pug1Off), where the laquer was blooming on the roof and bonnet. It's come back looking great, with colour on the roof bonnet and grille, blended in down the pillars, and laquered down to the half-way trim strips. So it's all ready for the occasional trip to work, and weekend fun-runs.

205_rr_qtr_post_paint.jpg
205_gti_post_paint_frt_14.jpg
205_1%2C.9_gti_badges_post_paint.jpg
205_frt_arch_post_paint.jpg
205_wheel.jpg

It's interesting to compare it to the Clio Trophy I have as my current daily. Sure, point-to-point, the Trophy is faster, and aircon is great to have. But the ride quality....! Jesus, for a car that in it's day was though to be too harsh, the 205 is just great compared to the crashy low speed Clio ride. Frankly, it makes my man-boobs jiggle does the Clio, so we still haven't bonded yet!

The power delivery is so much nicer in the 205 too, as in the clio, conscious of it being my engine/wallet, I'm always changing up just as it all gets frantic, whereas in the 205, I'm barrelling along using the torque. Both great cars, and spiritually linked, but ultimately very different I feel. driving.gif

Anyway, not a proper stip-down thread, but hopefully interesting none the less? I'll update with pictures as and when I have them.

Best regards,
Mark F

• Like 1

ATK

Lovely car mate, look forward to seeing more

eddie bullit

Nice to see it so well cared for..looks great