• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mmatthej1

Why Do 205 Automatics Have Domed Bonnet?

mmatthej1

Just wonder why the special 'domed' bonnet was fitted to automatic cars - maybe the transmission was somehow 'taller' and engine had to be raised?

Be good to know!

welshpug

they don't all have them, only the single point and carburetted variants do due to the location of the air box and inlet pipe to the carb/throttle body, multipoint injected auto models did not have them.

so in essence, if you fit twin carbs/bodies to an XU engine and fit an auto bonnet "for clearance" you're doing it wrong, as the hump is in the wrong place :lol:

Edited by welshpug

mmatthej1

Thanks for that info!

Do you happen to know if fitting the auto. bonnet would then allow room for an intercooler on a 1.8 turbo diesel?

(I notice that the 'highest point' on the engine is a belt-driven pump for (I think) power steering, so intercooler fitting would need to allow for this)

Miles

It might squeeze in there, Mind the bonnet doesn;t give a huge amount of extra space

Anthony

The XUD top mount intercooler fits underneath a standard bonnet doesn't it, although I'm sure an auto bonnet would give you more space to properly duct some air to it (although to a point, why bother when you can fit a FMIC that'll be far more effective?)

• Like 1

mmatthej1

Err, what's an FMIC? Excuse my ignorance...................

jackherer

Front Mount Inter Cooler

mmatthej1

Ah yes, that would be a far better position but just whereabouts could it be fitted, I wonder?

Don't really want to do too much cutting about, as keen to retain original looks - is there a particular donor vehicle source or is it a special kit?

Appreciate any guidance, plse.

boldy205

just in front of the rad usually, painted black too help it go un noticed.