• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimmi

Prp Lincoln -1.9 8V Grp.a Rally Head/cam

jimmi

Hi folks, stripped the head of my engine (in car) today as I suspected a head gasket failure ( expansion tank was pressuring + blowing coolant out overflow + could smell exhaust fumes in coolant tank). During the strip-down I discovered that one headbolt was not tight :o not surprising then to find the headgasket adjacent to waterway was 'marked' in the area of that loose bolt !!

Anyhow, with the head now off, I've found engraved markings on front face of head: Built/Gasflowed - 10/95 by PRP LINCOLN and Rebuilt by PRP on 11/01. Head skimmed by 065" 26.6cc. 11.1 Compression ratio. Grp.A std. valves re-shaped. Grp.A rally 407B camshaft ( Full lift 106' 0.25mm 0.010" In & Ex ) - I'm wondering would this be similar spec as a 'Longmans' head ??

Anyone heard of PRP LINCOLN 722605 ? Any idea who manufactures the 407 B camshaft ?

jimmi

Tried ringing PRP but number listed it is not available.. Got chatting with lad here in NI who has rallied 205's for years.. He reckons the cam in my car is a 205 1.9 Challenge spec PTS 4078... Would anyone on the forum have a spec sheet for that cam ? ..I'm looking to replace it and the cam buckets.. hoping to get one with similar profile... possibly a PIPER 285 or 300 would be same spec ??

petert

I seem to recall something like a duration of 251deg @ 0.050" and 0.465" lift. Advertised duration would have been 295-300ish.

SimonJ

Don't go for a 285 for a rally car - mine pulls from 1100 rpm in (an admittedly short) 5th gear which which I don't need it to do and am obviously sacrificing top end.Having said that, with the std injection I've read that anything over 285 doesn't work well.

welshpug

300 deg works brilliantly if you have enough compression but you do need itbs, newman call it their rally cam.

not seen anyone try a 285 on single throttle with proper compression or mapping, certainly doesnt work with std compression.

309jazzpanda

Wasn't the grp A 205 on single throttle, I'm sure unread somewhere they were about 175bhp

Biggles

Pretty sure PRP has closed. Was run by 2 brothers IIRC and I think they're retired. Had my car on their dyno many years ago - seemed knowledgeable and were helpful.

jimmi

Thanks for that Biggles .. Pity, I would have liked a chat with the lads at PRP. :(

As an update ..got head back on and car up and running... I had marked-up the cam- timing and Distributor setting etc etc..however since headgasket renewal the engine is now 'pinking' on light and heavy throttle load. AFAIK the engineering workshop just 'faced' the head -another 10 " of it - so given that head was previously skimmed by 065" thats 075" of the head now.

Car is running on an EMERALD M3D ECU... Looks like I'm gonna have to get ignition timing re-mapped to suit higher compression ..Anyone any thoughts on this ?