• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ramigojag

Air Leak '90 1.6 Gti (Sorry Large Pictures)

Ramigojag

I'd long suspected an air leak on my 205 after never quite managing to get the idle quite right and it stalled very easily whilst it was still warming up, finally managed to borrow a smoke tester, it showed a leak coming from the oil filler cap

2B5121F6-407D-4A19-866A-DA49B4253EF8_zps

You can just see the smoke starting to come out, it was worse than that, was just difficult to catch on camera because of the wind.

I attempted to seal it before buying a new one by fitting O-rings and a small amount of silicone sealant.

Borrowed a different smoke tester and it showed my attempted fix hadn't worked, but it also showed smoke pouring out from around the distributor cap which the first smoke tester hadn't shown. (the second smoke tester seemed to come out at a much higher pressure so im guessing thats why)

84650AA4-6C90-408F-BDC1-D391AB100218_zps

1E37FB30-8F37-4281-A96C-ACB7D30B1202_zps

618C58DC-B0FF-4798-BB4E-1B3D244AE9FD_zps

My question is from the above pictures where is the distributor supposed to seal from outside air? is it the actual cap? or is it as in the last picture, the small black part surround the shaft which would drive the rotor arm.

Or am i way off and the entire distributor is passed it.

Thanks

jackherer

Look underneath the distributor for the vacuum advance disc, you can just see it in your photos. The diaphragm inside must have split for induction air to be getting into the distributor. Take the tube off at the inlet manifold end and try sucking it, there should be resistance.

Ramigojag

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a test tonight.

is the diaphragm available as a separate part or is it integral to the dizzy?