• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
td_w

Can't Change My Fuel Filter!

td_w

I have a feeling my fuel filter is very old - it looks ancient and sure enough when I tried to get the union bolt off it won't budge.

Any tips, I have used WD40 but it seems jammed solid.

Can you get new union bolt parts, so I can just chop off a little of the pipes?

Thanks in advance!

Slo

Pretty sure them pipes are formed onto the banjos, not 100% certain but i had to cut em off mine and replaced the piping with braided rubber.

On a different note, my filter looked as bad as anyone elses's 27 year old filter (possibly) and inside was like brand new, so I can't see a reason to change it and so i'm still using it

welshpug

bigger spanners, no need to do any cutting, but make sure you replace all 4 copper washers.

td_w

Thanks Slo - mine was sat for a while so thought as it was easy I would change it.... 2 hours trying to undo one bolt and not happy!

@Welshpug - problem is I can't put too much pressure on it as it moves in its bracket, so I have to hold it with one hand and unbolt with the other, not great. I tried clamping it in but it still turns ....

welshpug

you are meant to use two spanners.

td_w

Ah.... right :) Well that might change everything.

Kane

Just for added info as well, new filters come with a set copper washers so you don't have to buy them separately.

welshpug

the last one I fitted only came with one of each size, where two are required of each size.

Kane

That's strange I've just fitted one a few weeks ago and it came with 4, 2 small and 2 large. Must be dependant on manufacturer.

lagonda

You can anneal (soften) the old copper washers...from memory, just heat to red hot and leave them to cool naturally.