• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scbond

Fitting New Downpipe Bolts

scbond

Trying to get new downpipe bolts on but can't get one in because the manifold bend obscures it. Obviously you're meant to take the collars out and press new ones in but I can't get the old ones out. They're rusted solid.

Any suggestions?

welshpug

bigger hammer!

scbond

That's an option but I can't get it in there :(

Long chisel and large hammer the only way?

Is getting the new ones in much the same sequence but from the top side?

Anthony

New ones will just pop in with finger pressure, so that's no worry.

Old ones can be a pain to remove on the car - a big bar and hammer will work though.

I imagine that cutting a slot in the collar would relieve the pressure on it and make it come out easier, but I've never tried it and access on the car (notably the offside) is pretty poor.

scbond

New ones will just pop in with finger pressure, so that's no worry.

Old ones can be a pain to remove on the car - a big bar and hammer will work though.

I imagine that cutting a slot in the collar would relieve the pressure on it and make it come out easier, but I've never tried it and access on the car (notably the offside) is pretty poor.

Cheers. Just cut through them with some of Dremel's crappy expensive cutting wheels :(

Will try a socket on the end of a bar and a hammer but getting a good swing is pretty hard under the car.

Tom Fenton

Long extension bar/s and a suitable socket will work.

scbond

Ok folks, got that bit sorted. Got it all fastened up and ready to go, just needed to loaded up my car and then tighten the bolts ready for a 2 hour drive. Then, as I tightened them one of them, the obscured one, snapped! Is there anything I can do to secure it until I can get a new bolt? Is there anywhere I can get just the bolt alone. Was thinking a cable tie until I can sort it but I don't have any metallic ones.

welshpug

use one of the old bolts?

scbond

use one of the old bolts?

Had to cut them to get them off :(

Anthony

A generic nut and bolt combined with one of the springs will suffice in an emergency.

If it's M8 or whatever then you'll have to use a large washer or drill out one of the old cup things as a spring retainer.

How tight were you trying to do the downpipe bolt to snap it though?! :o

scbond

A generic nut and bolt combined with one of the springs will suffice in an emergency.

If it's M8 or whatever then you'll have to use a large washer or drill out one of the old cup things as a spring retainer.

How tight were you trying to do the downpipe bolt to snap it though?! :o

Not that tight to be honest. The nut was a nyloc which I've never liked using for this reason.

Have all the bits still obviously so can I not put them on with a bolt (if I can find one)? Would have to happen with the obscured one...now I'll have to remove the retaining collar to get a new bolt in :(

I'm guessing not but would a couple of nylon large cable ties hold it safely just so I can get from Manchester to Nottingham?

Edited by scbond

Anthony

I would expect a nylon cable tie to melt with the heat from the manifold I'm afraid. Metal cable tie would probably do, although I'd expect a bit of blowing as you'll struggle to get sufficient clamping force.

At least the collar should come out very easily if you've only just fitted it.

PS. It shouldn't be a nyloc nut on the manifold-downpipe join!

scbond

I would expect a nylon cable tie to melt with the heat from the manifold I'm afraid. Metal cable tie would probably do, although I'd expect a bit of blowing as you'll struggle to get sufficient clamping force.

At least the collar should come out very easily if you've only just fitted it.

PS. It shouldn't be a nyloc nut on the manifold-downpipe join!

Ok, will have a look for a bolt suitable for it. Bit screwed if not!

Tom Fenton

If you can get or cadge a lift to Rotherham J33 M1 I have a selection of exhaust downpipe bolts.

scbond

Managed to use some bolts and washers lying around and it's fitted fine now. It is leaking a very small amount through the gasket so will get that replaced during next week. Thanks for all the help people.

Tom I'd gladly take you up on that but I'll be in a bit of a rush to get back now. I also have two new gaskets but one is a Bosal and the other is a no name cheap one so I'm thinking I might just man-up and get the Pug kit and then get a mechanic to get the old gasket off as I doubt I can.

lagonda

Bought my last lot of exhaust parts from an on line supplier (in the UK), and the parts are sold separately, so buying new bolts (with nuts cups & springs) is easy and not expensive. Sealing ring also sold separately.

scbond

Bought my last lot of exhaust parts from an on line supplier (in the UK), and the parts are sold separately, so buying new bolts (with nuts cups & springs) is easy and not expensive. Sealing ring also sold separately.

The bits I had which snapped came from an online supplier as a no-name kit so a bit reluctant to do that again. Sutton Auto Factors is fine...not exactly expensive and I can get and collect. Gonna get a two-piece system at the same time as the new one that came with my car is a three-piece and I don't like it...aside from the rumble when starting and accelerating due to the leak it's a bit too muted and feels restrictive.

Kane

Not worth going to a dealer and getting a genuine kit? I picked a set up a few weeks ago, you can either get the fitting kit with one set of bolts (circa £15 IIRC) or there is another one which has 3 sets of bolts of differing lengths. This was closer to £25 quid though

scbond

Not worth going to a dealer and getting a genuine kit? I picked a set up a few weeks ago, you can either get the fitting kit with one set of bolts (circa £15 IIRC) or there is another one which has 3 sets of bolts of differing lengths. This was closer to £25 quid though

In hindsight I would've done that in the first place now. However, I know had all the fittings apart from the two bolts, nuts and now the bottom retainers so have ordered those. Also ordered a full exhaust which is the correct two-piece system.